Monday, September 09, 2013

Kimberling City Republican sends message on HB 253: I can't be intimidated; I can't be bribed

In his latest newsletter, Rep. Don Phillips, R-Kimberling City, explains why he will vote against the override of HB 253.
With veto session approaching this Wednesday, there will be a decision concerning the override attempt of House Bill 253, the so-called tax cut bill. I want to let you know where I stand on this bill and why.  
I’ve publicly stated that my vote would be “no” on the override. This decision comes after being contacted by hundreds of seniors in District 138, many people in education, as well as the folks that represent citizens with disabilities, long-term health care needs and other vital services. All of those groups strongly voiced their disapproval of the override attempt.
 I’m a life-long Republican and a fiscal conservative, so I’m certainly not opposed to a tax cut if it makes Missouri a more competitive, business-friendly state. However, HB 253 goes beyond being a tax reduction bill and due to its flawed language causes unintended consequences.
Here’s what I object to:
If the veto of HB 253 is overridden, there will be a sales tax on prescription drugs beginning in 2015. That’s a tax we haven’t had to pay since 1979!  Seniors on a fixed income are counting every dollar and don’t need any additional tax burdens. There’s also a tax on college textbooks and the potential to have taxes collected on Internet purchases.  (The Internet sales tax would depend on the passing of the federal Marketplace Fairness Act but honestly that’s unlikely).
 Supporters of the override want us to pass the bill and then fix it. First of all, most people agree it should not need fixing to begin with.  It’s a newly created bill.  Plus, many people don’t trust the legislative body to fix the language problem anyway. What if it doesn’t get fixed or becomes worse?
Also, most people are led to believe there’s a nice tax reduction for the individual however the average citizen in Missouri would barely notice the difference in their tax return.
 For the past three years, as your State Representative, I’ve committed to do what’s best for our district.   In other words, I don’t always walk lock-step with the Republican Party. Especially if what the party wants is contrary to what’s good for the majority of the people I represent. Most of the time I’m a friendly player in the political sandbox as I should be, however, I wasn’t elected solely by the Republicans nor was I elected to serve only the Republicans. It’s my responsibility to be a representative for all the people of the district. I think most of you, regardless of your political affiliation, appreciate that stance and I thank you for your support! 
 The push to override HB 253 is funded by a huge investment, primarily by a single donor.  Along with the money comes pressure on legislators to vote the way the money dictates. Six lobbyists have been hired to carry out the cause! I’m personally not intimidated by threats, won’t be bullied and can’t be legally bribed.  I believe the people I represent feel the same way!
 My hope for HB 253 is that we go back to the drawing board, bring all the stakeholders together, improve the language that’s objectionable and then offer a clean tax cut bill that can be widely supported.

No comments: