Friday, September 13, 2013

Lichtenegger on HB 436: I voted to override veto once I confirmed it was constitutional to disobey federal laws

In her latest newsletter, Rep. Donna Lichtenegger, R-Jackson, explains that once she had confirmed it was constitutional to disobey federal laws, she went ahead and voted to override HB 436. Her source of information apparently also told her it was legal to use capital letters.
The other override failure, HB 436, would have established a statue to preserve our Second Amendment right to bear arms. This legislation would have rejected all federal acts that infringe on that right. The needed votes for an override existed in the House but not the Senate. For me personally this bill caused no small angst. I will ALWAYS PROTECT our right to bear arms, but I was approached by someone about the constitutionality of the language in this bill, and therefore I needed to be 100% confident that it is constitutional. As a state representative I’m sworn to uphold the state’s constitution. Any bill can look good on the surface and yet contain language that does not meet constitutional muster. Once I confirmed its legality and constitutionality, it had my full support, and it received my “yes” vote.
     I still don’t understand why many Americans do not realize the importance of the Second Amendment. Our nation’s founding fathers not only understood its implication for them, they also understood its protective provisions for generations to come. DO NOT DISARM YOUR LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS!

No comments: