Friday, September 13, 2013

Lyle Rowland: Why I voted against HB 253 override

In a portion of his newsletter issued today, Rep. Lyle Rowland, R-Cedarcreek, explains why he voted against the override of HB 253:

Two of the most advertised bills, HB 436 and HB 253, failed to be overridden. HB 436 was passed in the House but failed in the Senate. I voted for this bill. HB 253 failed in the House. I voted against this bill; the only one I voted against. My reasons for voting against it were never talked about on the radio, television, newspapers, or mailers. My reasons were:


1. Possible severe cuts to education, both K-12 and college & university.
2. Possible severe cuts to senior services (meals on wheels, home health, etc.) and to mental health.
3. Taxing prescription drugs. (I had a hard time believing this was a “cutting taxes” bill when we were adding this part.)
4. Taxing of propane, firewood, and wood pellets (several people in my district heat with these).
5. The bill sponsor stated openly that there were problems with parts of HB 253 but they “could be fixed” next session. I simply wasn’t willing to vote yes on a “government promise.”


I am not against a reduction in our taxes and have stated that openly in our caucus and to individuals. I am against a bad piece of legislation. This is why I voted against HB 253.


I hope we revisit this issue early in January and have a bill on the Governor’s desk before February. The bill sponsor seems to be willing to work toward that end at this time.

No comments: