Monday, September 30, 2013
Tulsa doctor to underage boy: Want to take a naked ride in my Porsche?
During questioning, Dr. Shelby Coleman admitted having sex with underage boys in Oklahoma.
An 11 a.m. Thursday hearing has been scheduled at U. S. District Court in Springfield to determine whether Coleman should be allowed to be free on bond. Coleman will remain in custody until that time.
The affidavit spelling out the allegations against Coleman, written by Joplin police officer Charles Root, is printed below:
I am a Task Force Officer (TFO) with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), assigned to the office of the Joplin Field Office of the FBI, Joplin, Missouri. As part of the Affiant’s daily duties as an FBI TFO, the Affiant investigates criminal violations of federal law relating to child exploitation including violations pertaining to the illegal production, receipt, and possession of child pornography (18 USC 2252(a)(2) and 2252(a)(4)(B)) and other federal statutes involving child exploitation.
The Affiant has received training in the area of child exploitation and child pornography investigations, enticement, inducement of minors and has had the opportunity to observe and review numerous examples of child pornography in all forms of media, including computer media. The Affiant has been a sworn law enforcement officer since 1994 and is currently employed with the Joplin, Missouri Police Department since November 2004. The Affiant is assigned to the Southwest Missouri Cyber Crimes Task Force.
2. The statements contained in this affidavit are based on information the Affiant learned through personal knowledge, investigative reports from other Investigators familiar with this investigation, and conversations with Investigators familiar with this investigation and who are formally trained and experienced in conducting investigations involving child exploitation.
3. On September 27, 2013, the Affiant was contacted by Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP) Trooper Patrick Sublette who requested assistance with an active enticement of a child investigation. Trooper Sublette is assigned to MSHP General Headquarters as a digital forensic investigator who is trained to investigate internet crimes against children. On Friday, September 20, 2013, Trooper Sublette was advised of this investigation from MSHP Corporal Jason Riggs.
4. On September 19, 2013, Corporal Riggs was contacted by B.D., who reported that he had found sexually explicit text messages and images from what appeared to be an adult male on September 18, 2013 on his 16 year old minor son’s, N.D., cellular telephone. The messages sent to the suspect indicated the child had never performed anal sex before and the suspect offered to “show him the ropes”. The messages were sent to the minor’s cell phone while they were at their residence, located in Lebanon, Laclede County, Missouri. N.D.’s father reportedly began texting the subject and made arrangements to meet in Lebanon, Missouri on September 19, however, this meeting was canceled by Corporal Riggs. Corporal Riggs obtained B.D.’s permission to use his son’s cell phone for the purpose of conducting an investigation.
Corporal Riggs assumed the identity of N.D. and informed the unknown subject that he was unavailable this weekend due to “soccer stuff” but would be available sometime next week. The subject responded that he was looking forward to meeting but would be patient. One of the text messages from N.D. to the suspect’s cell phone, initially state that N.D. is 17 and asked if that makes any difference to the suspect. The suspect replies that it does not.
5. On September 20, 2013, N.D.’s cell phone was transferred to Trooper Sublette who assumed N.D.’s identity for the purpose of this investigation and to perform a forensic examination of N.D.’s cell phone. The cell phone is described as an iPhone 5 with serial number DQGK8182DTTN and was manufactured outside the state of Missouri. Trooper Sublette found that N.D. had sent the suspect at least two images of an erect penis, that were reportedly N.D.’s penis. Trooper Sublette also observed at least four images that had been sent to N.D. by the suspect. These images depicted the suspect’s erect penis. Also sent from the suspect’s cell phone to N.D.’s cell phone was a video file that contained footage of the suspect masturbating. Trooper Sublette researched the cell phone number that was associated with the sexually explicit text messages, images and video file and was found to be registered to a Shelby J. Coleman. The suspect’s cell phone number was listed at --- A background check of Shelby Coleman listed an address of -------------, Tulsa, Oklahoma, 74137. It was also discovered Coleman is a medical doctor and partner of “Tulsa Women’s Health Center” and a Porsche 911 was registered in his name with OK license # 867JGJ. During some of the chats with N.D., Coleman stated that he drives a Porsche 911 and wanted to drive around in it with N.D. naked.
6. On September 23, 2013, Trooper Sublette sent Coleman a text message saying, “hey.” Coleman responded and the two discussed meeting for sex. The conversations continued throughout the week and were mostly about various forms of sex between the two.
7. On September 27, 2013, Coleman informed N.D. that he would be in Springfield, Missouri that night to help a friend and the two discussed meeting for sex. N.D. asked Coleman if he needed to bring anything. Coleman responded by saying, “If you want to bottom, an enema helps. I can help you with that here, if you want :).” This is a reference to anal intercourse. Coleman continues by informing N.D. that he has an 8 inch penis and will not put it all the way in, unless he wanted him to. Trooper Sublette sent Coleman a text message stating, “I know I said I was 17, but I not actually 17 until November 8. I didn't want you to mad at me.” Coleman responded with, “Got ya. no worries :).” Coleman stated he wanted to meet at the Double Tree hotel in Springfield, Missouri at 10AM and said he would get the enema for N.D.
8. On September 28, 2013, while staging outside the Double Tree Hotel, located at 2431 N. Glenstone Ave., Springfield, Missouri, which is in the Western District of Missouri. Coleman sent a text message stating he was leaving to go purchase an enema and would be back shortly. Investigators witnessed a subject believed to be Coleman get into a white Porsche 911 and leave the hotel. Investigators observed the same vehicle and subject return a short time later and the subject went inside the hotel. Coleman sent a text message stating that his room number was 423.
9. At approximately 0930 hours on September 28, 2013, Coleman sent a text message asking if N.D. wanted him to meet him in the lobby or if he was going to go straight to the room. Trooper Sublette responded by stating, “in the room.” At approximately 0945 hours, Trooper Sublette knocked on room number 423 with additional investigators out of view of the room. The door was answered by a white male later identified as Shelby James Coleman a 36 year old male. When the door opened, Trooper Sublette announced “Highway Patrol,” and attempted to enter the room. Coleman initially attempted to shut the door, however, Trooper Sublette pushed the door open and investigators entered the room. A protective sweep was conducted and no one else was present inside the room. Coleman was patted down and a brief search was conducted in the room for weapons inside the room. I identified myself to Coleman and asked him to sit down and obtained his personal information and informed him I wanted to speak to him. I audio recorded the interview with Coleman, which was later burned to a CD and entered into evidence. A copy was added to the case file.
10. At approximately 0949 hours, I advised Coleman of his Miranda rights and explained to him the purpose of us being there today. I asked Coleman to explain why he thought we were there to talk to him. He admitted it was because of “N.D.”, however, said he thought N.D. was 17 year old. He said he had researched the age of consent in Missouri and learned it was 17 and thought that was okay.
Coleman admitted to asking N.D. for nude images of himself, knowing N.D. was under the age of 18 and that it was illegal. Coleman later admitted he knew N.D. was 16 and said he knew it would be illegal for him to have sex with him, but was planning on it anyway. Coleman admitted he also discussed purchasing an enema at a local Walgreens in Springfield that he was planning on using on N.D. Coleman admitted to sending several nude images of himself to N.D.’s cell phone as well as a video of himself masturbating.
Coleman advised he met N..D on a cell phone application called VGL, which is short for, Very Good Looking. He wasn’t sure how long ago but thought it was a few months ago. He admitted to also using the “Facetime” application on their cell phones to video chat and would masturbate for each other using the internet. Coleman advised he arrived in Springfield at approximately 530PM on September 27, 2013.
11. While interviewing Coleman, I asked him and received his written permission to search his hotel room. He asked if we wanted to search his car. I advised I did. He signed a second consent to search form, which I seized and added to the case file.
12. Coleman was asked about any other persons he has had sex with that were under the age of 18. He advised that approximately a month and a half ago, he met a 16 year old male, identified as D-16 on a Craigslist ad. Using the website, Coleman contacted the boy and agreed to meet for sex. He initially believed D-16 was 18 however, D-16 admitted he was really 16 years old. Coleman said the age of consent in Oklahoma was 16 and believed that was legal. He said they exchanged nude pictures via cell phone and was aware that doing so was illegal. Coleman picked D- 16 up from his work and took him back to his residence, where they performed oral sex on each other and masturbated each other. Coleman later took D-16 home. Coleman advised his roommate identified as Patrick Bodin also was present and participated in the various sex acts with D-16 and later, Bodin and Coleman discussed that it was legal to have sex with D-16 however; it was illegal to have nude pictures of him.
Coleman was asked what the age of the youngest person he was involved with sexually. He said there was another boy identified as D-14. He said he met D- 14 using a cell phone application identified as, “Grinder.” He said Grinder is a gay dating application. He said D-14 informed him he was 14 years old. Coleman said he was okay with that and Tuesday of last week, picked D-14 up at North Intermediate High School in Broken Arrow, OK at approximately 2:45 P.M. He said they went back to Coleman’s residence where they performed oral sex and masturbated each other. He said his roommate did not participate during this incident. The date of last Tuesday was September 24, 2013.
After performing these sex acts, Coleman took D-14 home at approximately 4PM at his residence. I asked if there were any other underage persons he was involved with sexually. He said he had also had sex with another 16 year old boy identified as “J.” J is a friend of D-16 and approximately 4 to 6 months ago, picked him up at his parents residence and took him back to his residence.
Once at Coleman’s residence, they performed oral sex and masturbated each other. Coleman’s roommate, Patrick was also present and participated. They both also received nude images of J via the internet. Coleman later took J back to his parent’s residence approximately an hour later. Coleman stated he also had nude pictures of J on his cell phone.
13. While interviewing Coleman, I asked him if he had any other nude images or pornographic images of any other persons under the age of 18 on any of his electronic items. He admitted he did and said he had some on both his cell phone, his iPad as well as laptop computer. He said he would search for underage persons using a TOR browser, using a site called, “imgsrc.ru”; “Hidden Wiki” and a link titled, “MJB” which is short for Male Jail Bait. He advised he had several hundred images depicting children from their middle teens to as young as 7 years old engaged posing nude as well as engaged in various sex acts. Coleman stated he has approximately 50 pornographic videos which mostly depict persons under the age of 18. I asked Coleman how many videos he had on his computer depicting children 12 years of age and younger. He said about five. I asked if he would masturbate while watching these videos or if he would masturbate after watching them. He said he masturbated while watching them. While speaking with him, Coleman provided the passwords for each of his electronic devices and stated he stores his child pornography in two folders on his laptop computer, called, “downloads” and the other called, “untitled.”
14. At the end of the interview, I asked Coleman if he thought he should be in trouble and if he thought what he had done was illegal. He said he clearly knew it was illegal and that he should be in trouble. He said he knows he needs help because his sexual preference was children just after puberty and had thought about talking to a counselor but had not done so yet.
15. At approximately 1224PM on September 28, 2013, I informed Coleman that he was being placed under arrest and would be taken to the Greene County Jail pending the filing of federal charges on Monday.
16. Shelby James Coleman is currently in custody at the Greene County Jail pending the receipt of a Federal Criminal Complaint.