Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Things I'm Thinking About, January 7

My Favorite Mayor- I have always had a great deal of respect for Joplin Mayor Melodee Colbert-Kean, but she ranks right up at the top of my list after her statement at tonight's City Council meeting. "I never read the Globe," she said after someone mentioned a Joplin Globe article. Of course, I don't jknow if she is a Turner Report reader, but you would think someone with that much intelligence would have to be.

Minor League Baseball- The idea of a low cost, family-friendly activity, which is exactly what minor league baseball is, coming to Joplin is an appealing one. After listening to the presentations at tonight's hearing on the proposal to bring the El Paso Diablos to Joplin and checking on the team owner's background, I would say this is a good thing for Joplin. But the $4 million investment the city will have to make on Joe Becker Stadium is a concern. I would like to know more about that. While this certainly seems more promising, it is hard to forget the minor league hockey fiasco of a few years back.

Don't Take the Business Community For Granted- Concern about some of the actions taken by the Joplin R-8 Board of Education, primarily out-of-control spending, appears to be having an effect on some Joplin business leaders when it comes to this year's board race. I will be writing more about it tomorrow, but I have talked to a few business leaders who said C. J. Huff and the incumbents on the ballot should not take them for granted. One said, "A lot of the things you are writing about are things that were already known by some of us. We support the school district, but that does not mean we are going to go along with everything that the current leaders want."

Debby Woodin and Downton Abbey- People are still commenting to me about how strange it is for the Joplin Globe to have one of its top reporters, one of the few left who have established solid reputations as journalists write a page one story about Joplin area fans preparing for the return of the PBS series Downton Abbey. Wake up, Globe. It brings credence to that old saying- If it happened in Joplin, it's news to the Globe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in favor of a minor league baseball team coming to Joplin, but there is no way they would average 2,500 fans per game. Remember last year's well-publicized Mother's Day game with the Kansas City T-Bones? That game drew only 600! A more realistic attendance figure would be 400-500 per game.

Anonymous said...

I have remained neutral on the whole professional team (refuse to call unaffiliated baseball minor league) coming to Joplin. Like others, there are many questions to ask and not enough answers.
Using the game on Mothers Day as a gauge for success is unfair. That was a joke of an event as was the whole celebration for 100 years of Joe Becker Stadium. Mothers Day? Who's idea was that?
I understand the city manager has given a directive to the parks and rec department to find a use for the facility, otherwise all options, including demolition, are on the table.
While this appears to be a viable option, especially if they are willing to commit as much of their owns funds as they have committed thus far, I think the investment group is in it for the long haul.
What I would like to know how much they plan to charge for parking? Don't know too many folks around these parts that pay to park any where, let alone at Joe Becker Stadium.
I heard them in one of the early presentations they are considering other locations/communities? Who are this other communities? Where are they located? What are they offering? More than a $4 million incentive or less?
Like everyone else, I question they numbers presented. I too have heard/read they need some fans per game to make it work. What is that number? Is it 300, 2500, 1500, 500? Too many numbers are being thrown around, not enough concrete.
Where is the Joplin Sports Authority on this issue? Haven't heard a peep from them. Do they still exist? Why are parks and rec doing this? I thought it was the job of the Sports Authority? I assume they must have gone belly up and no one said anything, just threw it under the rug with the rest of the city cover up jobs.
Finally, I have heard/read so much negativity about this issue, I think the real fear in Joplin is the fear that this will be a success. So many people are against it, what would happen if after three years if they draw well, play well and the locals take ownership in having a pro team. It has been done before, it could happen again.