Friday, February 07, 2014

Randy, you're a bitter old man and we're worried about you

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been the recipient of a heartwarming display of genuine concern from my anonymous and/or untraceable friends.

"Randy, we're worried about you," one wrote. "For years, I have admired your work, but lately, you have turned into a bitter old man..

Another one wrote, "Randy, you have totally ruined your reputation as a reporter and as a teacher. You''ve become an old grouch. You have to get over getting fired and start writing about something  positive. I am worried about you."

A third added this sentiment. "Randy, you are sounding more and more like an old whiner. You have so much to offer, but you are so negative."

That person was worried about me, too.

These messages have me extremely upset.

Why in the world do all anonymous and untraceable people think 57 is old?

I can live with the comments about being "bitter" and "grouchy" and being a "whiner," but come on, don't pick on a person just because he is on the wrong side of 50.

And be more generous with your use of adjectives- I am not old; I am well seasoned, perhaps loaded with wisdom (some would just say loaded), or aging gracefully. After all, I still have all of my hair- I keep it in a box under my bed.

I would say that the sudden rush of concern for me is more of a sign of the effectiveness of the Turner Report.

One anonymous reader said I had hurt my reputation and have grown "old and out of touch" (there's that word again), because I mix opinion with facts. No offense to this anonymous reader,but I have been writing the Turner Report for more than 10 years and it has always been accurately labeled as "news and commentary." My readers can tell the two apart.

The problem, as I see it, is that some of the powers-that-be in Joplin are more concerned that people are reading what I write, and many of them are agreeing with me. It has been rewarding over the past several weeks to hear from many readers who said they had never heard of the Turner Report, but now they read it every day. Many of them have also commented thoughts along the lines of "Why aren't we seeing any of this in the Joplin Globe?" They will have to ask Carol Stark about that.

As for me being bitter, nothing could be further from the truth, as anyone who has talked to me can tell you. The people who are bitter are the ones who are helpless because they cannot do anything about the world that surrounds them.

I do not accept that there are people who are so powerful that they cannot be touched. If the Joplin Globe had lived up to its responsibilities, there might not be a need for someone like me. If the Joplin Globe had been doing its job, the circumstances that brought about my departure from the teaching field would never have happened. Hundreds of others night still be employed in the Joplin School District. The situation that is developing with the city of Joplin and Wallace-Bajjali might never have occurred or the behavior of the firm might have been modified if they knew that they were being watched by reporters, rather than cheerleaders.

What my "anonymous friends" do not seem to realize is that the people of Joplin are intelligent. If I were feeding them a bunch of nonsense, they would have turned away a long time ago. My writing has a point of view, it certainly is filled with attitude, but it is based on truth and in most cases has been backed up with documents.

I am excited about having the opportunity to perform a service for the community.

But I'm not bitter...and I am certainly not old.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I am over 60, I am relieved to know 57 is not old! I sure wish your worried friends write the Globe editor to ask what happened to that "news" paper? I remember when I relied on the Globe to shine a light into all the corners of our town, even when there was dirt in those corners. Ah the good ol days.

Anonymous said...

KEEP UP THE CAUSE. BEST AND ONLY "NEWS" IN THIS TOWN.

Anonymous said...

The people in Joplin are intelligent? A small minority of the population in Joplin would be classified as smart turner. Who do you think you are kidding? We are a city bloated with corruption if I was to believe you. We have squandered any good will felt for us after the tornado. We have left our children in the hands of dangerous, power-hungry megalomaniacs who would eat the hearts of our kids if it would garner them airtime. We gave the endless possibilities bequeathed on the great city of Joplin courtesy of 5-22 to the modern day version of Professor Harold Hill. Add to that the enormous meth head population and the solution isn't a "smart joplin"

Anonymous said...

Concern trolling.

Anonymous said...

That's either pathetic or funny, I'm not sure which. Their desperation is showing, either way. Please keep writing. You're the only source of news we have and we like your work.

Go get 'em, Mr. Turner!

Anonymous said...

luckily not too many people read the globe anymore and are not influenced by their propaganda. I thought former globe editor edgar simpson was the most inept editor in the world until they replaced him with an agenda driven lap dog bent on shaping elections.
Keep up the good work turner.

Keith Garber said...

Anonymous is just that, Anonymous, keep stirring things and don't fret the small ones that hide in the ether. Old tyme R&R lives!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, 8:02, I laughed out loud when I got to that line about Joplin residents being intelligent. I was with you up until then, Randy. Most folks there are anything but. In my experience, at least 2/3 of the population in and around Joplin is completely ignorant, uneducated, superstitious, and proud of it! And that's going to continue---I mean, it's not like there are great jobs there for educated, experienced young people. That's why we moved: There was just nothing in Joplin for us. Anyone else who is under 50, educated, skilled, and experienced ought to get out now, while they can. One only need read the Turner Report (or even just look around) to see how corruption, hubris, and incompetence at the highest levels of local government and industry have ensured that there will be no bouncing back for that place. The intelligent minority in Joplin will never be able to change that.