Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Annie Sharp to Joplin R-8 staff' Being on the school board is fun

In a message sent to staff last week, Joplin R-8 Board of Education President Annie Sharp welcomed new board member Shawn McGrew and talked about how much the board cares for everybody.

And being on the board is fun, too.

Good afternoon! I hope you are all having a great Friday. I just wanted to send you a quick note now that the school year is underway. The start of school is always a little stressful, and for some of you who have had to move into a new building this school year, it's a whole lot stressful! As you know, I love to pop into your buildings throughout the year to visit with students, staff, and parents. I'm hearing great things.

I wanted to also take a minute to share some information about your school board. We have several new faces on the board this year. This week, we welcomed our newest board member Shawn McGrew. He replaces Dawn Sticklen who recently resigned her seat. Shawn will serve until next April's election. At that time, he can choose whether he wants to run for election to a one-year term (the remainder of Dawn's term) or one of two three-year terms. Welcome Shawn! He was chosen from four applicants by a 4-2 vote of the current board.

This last April, we had two new members elected to the board, Lynda Banwart and Deb Fort. Other board members include Vice President Michael D. Landis, Jim Kimbrough, and Randy Steele, I'm excited to have a full board. I know that all of our board members look forward to serving the students of Joplin. We are especially grateful for our newest board members and for those who recently interviewed for the recent board vacancy.

 Serving on a school board in even the best of times can be challenging. As everyone who lives in Joplin knows, these have been beyond challenging times for our school district and our community. Yet, these individuals chose to put service above self because they care about our kids, our staff, our community, and public education. Thank you. (Serving on a school board is also rewarding and even fun most days. I've got a few photos to prove it!)
Please remember that you can find our contact information and a wealth of information on the district website. You can find the agendas for each board meeting and the minutes from previous board meetings on the website. And, you are always welcome to attend the meetings or watch them live and throughout the month on JET14. Here is a link to our website page: http://www.joplinschools.org/BOE.

We're off to a good start for the 2014-15 school year. We have all of our Eagles home for the first time in three years, and that is definitely something to celebrate. Thank you for all that you do for Joplin kids. And, as always, email me for a chocolate fix or an extra set of hands in your classroom. My time is your time.

Sincerely,

Anne Sharp

Your School Board Member

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This memo is chock full of ridiculousness!

She doesn't speak so courteous in person- she's down right rude and demanding.

If I were a teacher, I'd never contact her for a chocolate fix or to help in my class...

Let's remember here folks- Shawn McGrew was not the community's selection, it was Huff s choice and the dolts - Steele, landis, Banwart , and sharp voted on him.
The board is a complete joke ! A farce!
I've seen 5 the graders make better decisions during group projects.

Anonymous said...

Resign

Anonymous said...

Looking at the posts here today and began to wonder if R-8 has signed some kind of deal with The Onion.

Anonymous said...

Anne says, "I love to pop into your buildings throughout the year to visit with students, staff, and parents. I'm hearing great things.".

She conveniently forgot our conversation, along with the many others I've heard about! Selective memory!
Ridiculousness is a great venue for the antics of the R-8! Maybe we should send them some clips of the BOE meetings!! Bwahahaha

Anonymous said...

She sounds like a micro manager. She was not elected to pop into the buildings when she feels like it. She has one employee to worry about and that is Dr. Huff. She must have slept through that part of her state mandated training for being a board member. The only time she should be dropping by to a building is only after she has been invited.

Anonymous said...

I have known Suzanne Sharp nearly all my life and went to school with her. There is no way in Hell that she wrote this email. She can't speak that clearly, much less write anything anyone could make sense of. Have to wonder if she knew about this, or if she told them this was okay. What a fake.

Anonymous said...

Annie Sharp helped me during a T.R.E.K program for a long time i couldn't learn anything. Annie gave me a purpose to learn for I and thought i was stupid, useless, no reason to live thank you Annie. Miss you so much miss our Tuesday nights during T.R.E.K. Thanks to her I'm alive and well going to a great school where I have learned so much in the four years of going there. Annie has helped me more than anyone I know she gave me confidence when I had none.

Sincerely,
Mystic