Monday, October 06, 2014

Mother: It is time for Joplin R-8 parents to take a stand

(The following essay about the current conditions at Joplin High School and in the Joplin R-8 School District was written by Erin Turner (no relation), the mother of students attending Joplin High School and a graduate, as well as being a Joplin High School graduate herself. She was kind enough to allow me to reprint it.)

I have always been a proud Joplin High School graduate and supporter. My daughter was a third generation graduate from JHS. I have supported Joplin schools through many fundraisers, purchasing vast amounts of Eagle t-shirts and suffered from bleacher booty at countless sporting events.

My family can sing the fight song and can cheer along with nearly all of the Eagle cheers, "cah-caw.: I most definitely have no problem giving accolades to Alan Hass, who is credited with the ribbon-cutting idea (after administration wanted the opening of JHS to be a record-breaking event0.


I do, however, refuse to show support for something that I disagree with. I do believe a grand opening should be grand! It should have also been an option and done on an evening, or a Saturday or Sunday. I disagree with the fact that students who attended got an excused absence, but those who didn't and chose to avoid the event, did not. Just like everything else in our district right now, nothing is across the board or equal.

Another parent and I were promised by C. J. Huff, in a face-to-face meeting, that he would not allow another student to be overlooked in the same way that our children were regarding middle school honor society guidelines. From what I understand, so far, that promise has not been kept.

Some schools give out letter grades, some do not. Some school permitting is allowed, some is not. Some schools can have backpacks, some cannot. Some Joplin schools have textbooks and some do not. There is no consistency whatsoever throughout the district.

Let me make this clear- my children and I have received amazing instruction from many great people employed by the Joplin School District. Teachers and administrators who touched our lives in immeasurable ways- Julie Munn, Polly Greer, Kolette Bartley, Karen Evans, Jason Riddle, Barbara Long, Anna Brock, Zach Holden, Breana Clark, Samantha Buckridge, Kate Brinks, Ron Mitchell, Jarrett Cook, Gala Moss, Dr. Warren, Mr. Zeka, Mr. Drouin, Jeff Gloshen, Steve Gilbreath, Mrs. Potter, Carlie Brown, Larry Masters, Brenda Phipps, Kit-T Haynes, Ms. Stamper, Randy Turner, Mr. and Mrs. Wallace, Ms. Lundien, Coach Garritson, Stephanie Jones Reither, Brandi Landis, Evan Mense, Dr. Sachetta, Coach Adams, Mr. Sandborn, Miss Smith, Mrs. Thornberry, Mrs. Adkins, Mrs. McClary, Miss Goosetree, Mr. Parker, Jeff Williams, and Jeff Hafer. (I am sure I have forgotten many.)

My frustration with what is currently happening throughout our district is certainly no reflection on them or of my appreciation for their loyalty and service to our students. It never crossed my mind that any of them were just doing their jobs; their passion for education was/is evident. (Our district has lost many of these teachers over the past few years to retirement, other districts and termination.) I would simply like for our school administration to focus on what should be the most important thing- our kids' education.

It needs to become evident that a computer is a tool for education, not the only source of it. Higher educational institutions demand textbooks, note taking and hand written assignments to be turned in. Heck, JHS has a coffee shop, a handful of sitting areas good for making out in, and completed (or usable) sporting facilities, but can't offer my book-learning students a textbook or two and won't have an onsite place for music and theater performances this year.

My sons attend state-of-the-art facilities surrounded by gorgeous soccer, baseball, softball, and football fields,,,and dirt, cranes, backhoes, dump trucks, construction equipment and unfinished buildings. Even that I can accept because it signifies growth and development, but the size and architecture of the buildings cannot overcome what is lacking within the walls.

All of my children have attended schools these past three years that have had teachers who have spent more time out of the classroom in training than they spent in them getting to know their students. I have heard teachers tell students and parents that they hate their jobs, that they wish they could just teach, that they had just given up and couldn't wait for the year to be over, and that they were counting the months until retirement. I have heard of bullying, sexual activity, and unacceptable behavior going on within the walls of our schools, while educators have been made powerless to discipline and are not allowed to hold these students accountable. Teachers are no longer allowed to take cell phones away. Teachers are told they shouldn't send kids to the office and when they do, the students are handed a lollipop and sent back to class- classes that are also filled with students who want to learn, who want to make good grades, who don't cause trouble and who are just as disgusted with what is is being allowed.

Teachers are being asked to deal with every student equally, even when their behavior is not. It doesn't take rocket science to know that kids are all different. Even my own children, who came from the same two parents, cannot be disciplined or rewarded with the same things.

Assignments aren't required to be turned in in a timely manner, just as long as they are in before grades are due. At least that is what I have experienced with my children's teachers. I believe my child deserves a failing grade if he does not do his work. He should NOT be allowed to turn it in months later.

The idea of natural and/or hard consequences for bad behavior or lack of effort has been forgotten so that everybody can feel good, pass classes, and ensure a high graduation rate.

I won't apologize for loving my children too much to allow them to not be held accountable for unacceptable behavior. They get in trouble because I love them and I want to make sure that they are functioning, socially adept, hard-working citizens- people that other people want to spend time with. I have been hard pressed to find an employer that would tolerate the kind of work ethic that is being tolerated in JHS.

My daughter, now a freshman in college, is a book learner. She is extremely smart and is maintaining a high GPA in college, but she is struggling. Thank goodness for Barbara Long and her strict Communication Arts curriculum. My daughter was a 4.0 student from third grade until the tornado, that's eight years of nothing but A's.

After trying to solely use the laptop, she begged me to get her textbooks. I pleaded with her instructors, only to be told that there were no textbooks. I offered to buy them myself and was told that they didn't get their information from specific textbooks, that it was pulled from many different sources. I watched her confidence and her GPA drop.

Her grades and her education  suffered from the lack of resources that should have been freely available to her as a student in a public school, from the lack of being able to highlight her hand-written notes, from using her rote memory by writing and rewriting things she was supposed to know for tests, from reading along with text that was read about in class and then reread aloud at home in her bedroom (I use a laptop everyday for my job, but I still print out press releases and other typed documents in order to proof them.) I overheard her tell her 11-year-old brother that she feels dumber from having graduated from JHS.

And I feel like I let her down as her mom, that I didn't fight enough. I spoke up once, just before her senior year and was labeled a troublemaker. School board members were told that I was in cahoots with other troublemakers. (By the way, I was in support of the laptops, I just asked for textbooks to be an option, too.) I am so concerned because we are sending our students off to schools after graduation that will demand they use skills that they are not being given any longer at JHS. I can bet that these kids would be able to pass Social Media, Text Abbreviation, and Procrastination if such classes were offered.

I honestly believe that teaching is THE hardest career choice. My parents are teachers and I know that it takes a special person to spend eight hours a day with a room full of children that are not their own.

I believe that a person is a teacher long after they have left the classroom. (My mother still gets her red pen out when I ask her to edit my writing.) Teaching is certainly harder without the support of parents and administrative staff.

I applaud those who spend their days trying to teach in the types of environments I have described, who spend their evenings grading papers, who love my children enough to hold them accountable for their lack of effort in class and who simply choose to get up every morning and return to a classroom or gym because they made a commitment to their students and their district and they are determined to make a difference despite the obstacles they are faced with.

Now parents, if these men and women can show that kind of dedication to your children, you need to not be afraid to take a stand and demand what your children not only deserve, but NEED in order to be successful in college and in life.

It is more than obvious that our administration needs to be more focused on our students, EVERY student, and less on fanfare and public relational notoriety.
***





45 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! Administrators please read this and print it out so you can reference it. It is the truest thing I've read in years. You aren't preparing our kids for the real world. You're setting them up for failure! I see it every day because I teach for Joplin R8.

Anonymous said...

I pray that the auditors heed the mountains of anecdotal evidence that decisively indictes Dr. Huff, and several current and former board members and administrative personnel.

Sovereign Immunity has provided an impermeable shield for CJ Huff thus far. Even the resounding election of Dr, Fort failed to impress upon this gang, the will of the "fringe group."

Perhaps their egos will finally get them caught. Or maybe, someone like Ron Mitchell will give the voters a clear choice for April.

Anonymous said...

Agree!!! I will soon be graduating from MSSU with a teaching degree. I have spent countless hours in almost all of the Joplin schools and several other schools in this area. I have heard multiple times from teachers that it is pointless to send their students to the office because they are pretty much given a sucker and sent back to class. I have seen students that are completely disrespectful to teachers and substitutes because they know that they will get away with it.

Most students in the education program at MSSU do not want to teach in Joplin. It is considered a last resort if tbey cant get a job anywhere else.

I have met lots of amazing teachers inJoplin that are scared to speak up for their students. Scared to send their students to the office. Scared for their jobs. If a teacher is always on edge, all of their students are going to sense it and quality learning is not going to take place.

Teachers should be comfortable in their teaching environment so that their students are comfortable too. They should not live in constant fear of administration. The administration should be there as a resource and backup.

As a parent, I would never send my child to Joplin schools. I have been in elementary, middle school, and high school at Joplin and other districts and it is night and day.

First, I do not want my children to learnfrom classmates that it is acceptable to disrespect teachers because they will bet awaywith it.
Next, I want my childrens teachers to be comfortable in their environment so tnat my children can learnto their maximum ability.
Finally, when our children go to college they are going to be expected to learn from books, take notes, and turn assignments in on time. Lots of MSSU professors have had to teach college students how to take notes, read text books and regularly fail students for late assignments. Students shoukd not be learni g these skills in college. They should be taught in middle school and high school.

Anonymous said...

Wow that's AMAZINGLY written. As a mom of 3 elementary students I am VERY ready to stand up for my kids.

Anonymous said...

I too am a student in MSSU Teacher Education Program. I would love to teach where I live. I know many R8 employees. I will teach elsewhere until Huff and his board lapdogs have moved on.

Anonymous said...

I've been standing up for my children and everyone else's, I'm so happy to see others joining the fight!! We must save our children because no one else will!!

Anonymous said...

1. Work ethic is taught at home. Parents can check grades at any time. Why do your children have missing assignments for that long without your knowledge?
2. When I was at R8, which was pretty recently, teachers were expected to maintain a 95% passing rate. Students who failed with more than 15 absences really weren't supposed to be the teachers' problem, but when attendance gets fixed, that's hard to prove. Most of us when I was there took screen shots of attendance in case it came to that. I assume they still do. You have to look after yourself.
3. Pressure to pass students comes because of the graduation rate, which is all that keeps that district accredited.
4. Teachers bear the burden of test scores and achievement. Not the students. Writing a student up would result in that student getting a treat and the teacher reminded that the student has "issues." ONLY the teachers were held accountable. Never the students. They didn't have to go to class or work very hard at all. Someone would save them. The HOPE counselors would walk them to the door months after an assignment is due and expect the teacher to take it and be fast about getting the grade in.

I'm glad I got away, but I miss the few friends I still have there. I'm sorry for those who want to do the right thing and can't, including a few administrators around the district. Just a few. Most are Angie holdovers. But it's make miracles happen or be fired in R8. I moved on to a district that has fewer innovations but higher expectations and better results based on old fashioned discipline and effort. Those two things are free. And, we still use books. They're wonderful. Parents should be thinking class action law suits against that district, specifically the upper admin and school board, because your children are being denied the quality education I can promise you their teachers want to give them. I wish I could have stayed, but I just wasn't tough enough to take it anymore. It was taking a toll on my health, mentally and physically. Not worth it. Good luck, and parents, do your share to not only protect your children, but to push them, too. It's a two-way street. Don't let them skip or make excuses. They don't always tell you the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Very well said "Eagle Mom", but how serious are all of you? Are you going to organize and start a grassroots campaign for change? I'm an R8 teacher, and I cannot afford to take that risk. I don't mean to be a skeptic, but I cannot see this happening. People are too busy or too fearful to take a stand. My plan, having taught here for nearly 17 years, is leave.

Anonymous said...

6:08

I read that article today. It is good. The kicker around here is no one will want to pay the taxes it would take to pay the teachers that well. Of course, if there were fewer sponges at the high end of the pay scale, as in directors for every imaginable area, then maybe the income could be spread out amongst the real working staff. It'll never happen in R8 as long as CJ is there and backed blindly by five of his seven pet board members.

Anonymous said...

Very well stated. I have a daughter who is a junior this year. I was shocked to find out that some of her classes did not offer textbooks, even online textbooks would be ok. But she has stated that the only textbook she has is in her Algebra class. Tonight we were at dinner with my parents. She asked my dad if he knew much about the Civil War to which my dad replied he did, and he asked why. She stated that her history teacher told the students that she does not know much about the Civil War so she suggested the students talk to someone older in their family that may be history buffs, and find out from them. She is going to be tested on this information but has to learn it on her own without any guidance from the teacher because the teacher does not know? Really? If we are going to have to teach our students why are we required to send them to school? I graduated from JHS, as did my 2 boys (pre-tornado), but I really wish I had another option than to send my daughter to this school. There is a possibility we may be moving to Texas at the end of the year, and after the conversation tonight I really hope we get transferred.

Anonymous said...

7:10

It wasn't too many years ago that R-8 teachers were the highest paid in the land. Thanks to Dr. Simpson!

Anonymous said...

It's not just Joplin schools.. Students at Webb City are trying to learn with the Chromebooks and they are struggling as well. Textbooks need to be kept in schools and not all this fancy technology that will be the death of our society!

Anonymous said...

The simple fact is we need to overwhelmingly elect more like we did Dr. Fort. Those born to and still expecting privlege, like Landis and Sharp, are dinosaurs. The board is just another tool of oppression and self indulgent social status.

Unfortunately, finding those willing to take up the cause is a daunting task. The globe crucified Dave Gilford, and it still sways a great deal of uninformed public opinion. So, talk to former educators, business leaders, anyone with a shred of integrity...let's round up some candidates.

Anonymous said...

As a former employee of Joplin schools. I have to say that this is the best thing that could ever ibe written. My dear u deserve something. I don't even know what. I have experienced almost everything u described. I urge all of u to also read the Turner Report about no refrence to homecoming. Read the comment below the story from the administrator.

Anonymous said...

I agree, and I believe Ron Mitchell would be fantastic.

Anonymous said...

If your daughter can't figure out how to use a computer, she probably isn't really an A student. It's not that complicated. The words still read from left to right and whatnot. Instead of turning pages, you scroll down. And the entire internet is readily available. My grandfather has little trouble.

jacob said...

I have no affiliation with JHS, other than knowing some of the students. From what I know about things going on in the joplin school system, thisbis a great article. What i find interesting though is that many of the commenters on here are all fired up to take a stand, but from what I see, that will never happen. If you don't have the guts to sign your name to a comment on a blog posting, I doubt you will have the guts to stand up at a school board meeting.

Daryl said...

As a former teacher at JHS, I can assure you that much of this nonsense was going on before the tornado. I rarely had issues with behavioral problems from students and only sent 4 or 5 kids to the office in the 2 years I taught there. There are some great teachers and administrators at JHS. Unfortunately, their hands are tied by an super who is ill prepared for the job and a board that rubber stamps whatever he wants.

Anonymous said...

This is a great article I believe the school system has went down hill for years now seems like the system is in it for the money and a lot of teachers are under paid.I personally think the money that was received from the tornado funds were handled wrong and some got bigger bank accounts from it.I beleave the new school is just to show off that we have a huge and nice school dont think the school was all about the kids it is all about the looks

Anonymous said...

Anonymous commenting on this blog is one of the only ways to vent and feel reassured that we are not alone. If you comment out in the open you are putting your student as risk....at risk of been seen as a trouble maker and treated poorly.
This is a real thing, that really happens.
I would love to join an actual group who could all work together and be seen as strength in numbers.

Anonymous said...

I was thrilled a few years ago when I was called by R8 to come teach an elementary class. I had left a different district a couple years earlier after having a baby. I had not applied for the position, but a few people in the district knew me & recommended asking me to get back into teaching.

What a mistake I made! I was treated horribly from the moment I walked through the door. No support. No help with discipline. No help with parent issues. The list could go forever. Needless to say, I did not sign a contract for another year. Also, it left a very bitter taste in my mouth for ever wanting to teach again.

I have moved out of the district, so I can not join a campaign. But, I was wondering if all those who are wanting to get a group started,

1. have a leader set up an email account that others can join by writing into the email account.

2. Or set up a Facebook Group and people can only join if you allow them to. Make it a private account so others can't see the posts. You can "vet" them by looking at their page.

I don't know if either of those ideas are possible, but that was what popped into my head when reading the posts about people thinking they have no way to form a campaign/group.

I truly feel sorry for those of you that have children in that district. I pray that the winds of change are coming.

Anonymous said...

As a person who has spent numerous years in the social work field, I have seen firsthand what effects poverty has on a child's ability to learn. Some kids have limited access to food and no safe place to call home; the least of their worries is finding a wireless hotspot so they can do their homework or study on their iPad. They are more concerned with surviving every day. How are these kids supposed to learn? Technology is great but so are textbooks. Both should be used in ways that compliment each other.

Anonymous said...

How about a meeting place and time for all of you anonymous commentors? And how many people read this but didn't comment? There are park pavilions all over this town where a group of people could organize and you would know how many people are "for the cause." EagleMom would be a good leader. Put together some facts, rally to make a plan. Don't just post comments on someones vent.

Anonymous said...

Those of you posting must have attended a different Parkwood/JHS than I attended. Yes there were places to make out, but hell we just did it in the open. No big deal. I remember students stopping classes mid session announcing they had tickets for sale to the after gamer weekend kegger. And the teachers gave us a few minutes to buy the tickets. We smoked in the bathrooms and especially "The Pit", the ramp leading to the exit doors behind the stage. And we smoked lots of pot there. I rarely did homework because I understood the subject matter and aced my tests. Books were filled with drawings of body parts and a lot of profanity. I had three lockers in strategically selected areas I kept stocked with liquor, weed, other contraband and I decorated the lockers with pictures from men's magazines. I made a hefty profit changing other student's grades. They would bring them to me and I replaced "Cs and Ds" with a "B" using replacement letters, some glue and a copy machine. I had a laminated pass from the attendance office that permitted me to leave the campus at will. Key Club was just an excuse for us to get loaded at the meetings and events, and we sold the weekly spirit ribbons only to use the proceeds to buy more pot. This was all good clean high school fun and I'm sure most of you attended those keggers and hit that joint with me.
Get over the textbook issue. Higher education is going paperless. It's cheaper, environmentally friendly, and you need only carry a tablet rather than 50lbs of books you'll use one semester then put on a shelf never to be used again.
As for me, I turned out all right. I graduated MSSC/U with honors then law school. And I never got into trouble with the law.
Let kids be kids. As a society we're putting way too much stress on success for kids between 14-18. No wonder they turn to pharmacutical drugs and suffer from stress related diseases and psychological disorders. Emphasize enjoying their youth, not SAT perpetration at age 15. If you let them grow at the natural pace we were allowed they'll be happier individuals with fond memories of high school life. Then when they're ready they'll choose their career path.

Anonymous said...

@anonymous 5:58 pm, if you're about to receive your degree in teaching we are in a world of hurt. I've never seen a post with such poor grammar and disregard for editing submitted by a soon to be teacher.

Tony Mathis said...

Erin- I couldn't agree with you more. If you notice. ... I'm happy to use my name because Joplin Schools will never have influence over my children again. We are in the bottom 11% in the state academically and haven't done anything in our major 3 sports in years but the men in charge of our academics and athletics continue to keep their jobs. I'm glad to be back in Jenks where pride is taken in both academics and athletics. If you look at a school system as a business then you have to ask yourself. .....what business allows employees to stay employed when the job they are hired to do is not being done? No hope in the near future unless we clean house and hire the best available as replacements.

Anonymous said...

8:16
Are you referring to the comment about Huff's oldest child?

Anonymous said...

I am a Para at another school district in the area. This article could have been written about this school district. I see the same things going on. l am l looking forward to the time when my family is in a better financial position so that I can quit my job. If anyone ever asks my opinion, I would tell them to homeschool if that were an option. This current generation of teens makes me fearful for our countrys future.

Anonymous said...

Very nice summary. Part of the problem is that the "poor academic performance" of the students is being masked by the other areas like attendance, graduation rate and disciplinary reports. We need someone on the board to stand up to the administration and give them some "tough love". Things are just not working out. We are going to have to let you go.

Anonymous said...

My son is a freshman in high school. He has scored proficient on all academic testing since grade school. Yet cannot write his name in cursive, has poor hand writing all because teachers in joplin school district are instructed that such things "are a waste of time" is it also a waste of time to teach kids the importance of having work turned in on time? Never had to do till this year and struggling! Thank you joplin school district for not bothering to teach the basic of skills !!
And yes...my son has asked for help with hand writing skills - all denied

kitty chiwawa said...

I hope someone can help her find the rest of us out here already working towards taking the stand.

Anonymous said...

2:29 are you able to buy a tablet of handwriting paper and a highlighter for your son to trace? You could model proper writing for him that way. I taught my four year old to write that way before kindergarten. I also taught him to correctly write his name in cursive when he was in 3rd grade, as his school didn't teach cursive. If your child wants to learn it, he can.

Anonymous said...

As a parent and a district employee...I ask when and where can we meet!!!!!????? My child's time is running out and I'm tired of fighting for federal educational rights with extremely burned out staff just waiting to leave and saying it out loud...but alas, so am I.

Anonymous said...

@Anonymous 8:43am. I made that lengthy post from my cell phone, in a basement, waiting for class to start. It is much easier to write and proofread from a computer than it is from a cell phone with limited time and poor cell service. Rest assured that I am very intelligent and will be graduating with honors. I am truly sorry that it was more important to me that day to spend time proof reading students papers and enhancing their skills, than it was to proof read a blog post. Maybe you should spend more time focusing on the real problem at hand and less time criticizing my post.

Anonymous said...

Find Alicia Terry on FB. I will add you. If I suspect you are not who you should be... You will not be let in to the group. Look for the little red school house. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how anyone can think this is good writing, let alone the best thing ever written. There is no real argument or compelling evidence presented. It's a bunch of complaining about nothing in particular. People love to moan about nothing.

Anonymous said...

12:45 Your terse response does not put you in any danger of being accused of exhibiting an overabundance of vernacular eloquence or rhetorical acumen.

Anonymous said...

12:45 Sorry. Your message was drowned out by all of your moaning.

Anonymous said...

12:45 The evidence is anecdotal and highly supported by similar experiences shared by readers. The quality of the writing is found in the content. The responses will attest to this. Perhaps you should save your lame attempts to discredit obviously passionate and thoughtful people for your one friend...if he will finally return your call.

Anonymous said...

12:45 Complaining about complaining. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Someone get 12:45 a pacifier.

Anonymous said...

Leave 12:45 alone...he can't help being stupid.

Anonymous said...

12:45 you're just mad because we don't rave over your writings this way!
Find something to suck on besides those sour lemons, they are really causing your face to wrinkle!!

Anonymous said...

I moved out of the district for hope of a better education for my kids. It is the best thing that I have ever done. I am confident that they will be well prepared for college now. They had to adjust to a much harder and organized curriculum. I am a happy Momma! Joplin schools are too easy. They are pushing kids through and not getting the end result, which is an educated young adult that is prepared for college and life endeavors!

Anonymous said...

Kinda what I was thinking too.