Friday, November 07, 2014

C. J. Huff: If I don't become commissioner, I'll be in Joplin for years to come

Media attention was focused on Joplin R-8 Superintendent C. J. Huff today as he announced that he had applied for the position of Missouri Commissioner of Education, a job that opened in September when current Commissioner Chris Nicastro announced she was retiring at the end of the year.

Why he felt the need to tell his teachers (his e-mail to them is printed at the bottom of this post) and the media he was looking for another job never was answered, but the announcements and the closed-door meeting with State Board of Education President Peter Herschend at the Administration Building October 24 would indicate this thing is much further along than Huff's statement indicates.

Speculation had been rampant, spurred on mainly by Herschend saying it might happen, that Nicastro's successor was going to be named as early Monday, October 27, three days after Herschend's meeting with Huff.

That was changed as the board came under fire for not conducting a more extensive search for the person whose job will be to guide education in the state of Missouri.

It does bring into question just how extensive this search will be and is taxpayer money being spent on a wide-ranging search when Nicastro's successor may have already been selected?

Huff's letter to the teachers:

Dear Educators:

On April 1, 2008 I received a late night phone call from Anne Sharp. At that time, like today, she was the President of Joplin Schools’ Board of Education. I had interviewed with the Board for the position of Superintendent of Schools earlier that day. She was calling to offer me the position. I was excited for two reasons. For one, Joplin represented an opportunity for my family to get closer to our parents and grandparents. But most importantly, it was an opportunity to positively influence the lives of more kids. Joplin has become our home.

As I’m sure you are already aware, there has been much talk in the last few years as to my intentions. I hear the rumors from time to time that I have applied for various jobs in other cities, sometimes even in other states. Regardless of the rumors, I have not done so. Joplin is my home…and like my children I love my friends, the people I work with, and the schools we have worked so hard to rebuild together. If I was seeking employment elsewhere, I would treat you with the same respect as I would my family…you’d be the first to know.

To that point, I am sure you have heard Dr. Chris Nicastro, Missouri Commissioner of Education, is retiring at the end of December. The State Board of Education has begun the search process, which includes the opportunity for individuals to be nominated for consideration for the position. If nominated, the Department of Education makes a phone call to the nominee with a request to submit an application for the position. I received such a call on Monday morning.

I’ve spent a lot of time talking to my wife about this nomination and whether or not to apply for this position. We’ve talked about the impact on our family and our commitment to this community. And I’ve prayed daily for guidance on this decision.

Today, I wanted to let you know that I will be submitting my application for the position. The opportunity to serve over 800,000 Missouri children and the educators who guide them is one I cannot let go by without exploring the possibility.

With that said, there will be many other highly qualified candidates who will be applying for the position. If I’m not selected for the position, my intention is to remain the Superintendent of Joplin Schools in the years to come. This is my home and I love the people I work with and the children and community we serve.

Sincerely,

CJ

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one nominated CJ but CJ himself! As for when, it was long before Monday! He lies so much he can't keep them straight anymore'.
I just hope and pray the auditors can still call him out for the felonies he has committed here after he's gone!
I've been saying he was leaving the Summer. All he was waiting for was the "grand opening" of the new juvenile detention center.

Anonymous said...

History says they will hire from within. I see Lankford getting the position if he wants it. Huff could be offered a deputy position if this happens, but I don't see his ego allowing this.

Anonymous said...

If I read this correctly, is CJ saying he "didn't" apply for the position in Springfield? Perhaps he thought he would just be appointed without a formal application.

Anonymous said...

"I love the money Joplin allows me to spend freely with virtually no limits or control, where 'conservative' is the name but 'unrestrained' is the game."

Anonymous said...

Cj Huff and a few weak cronies
Are the only ones that support anything he does. He has caused Joplin many problems for the future. His welcome passed before the tornado. Hopefully he will acquire a job out of state never to be seen again because state education does not need his ignorance but anyway we can get him out is welcome at this point. Looking to the future, joplin will have to seek a strong leader that is capable of cleaning this mess up. CJ Huff is way out of his league
And why this town needed up with something like this is unexplainable except for the fact of individuals on the Board of Education. As a community, we need to step up and vote these individuals out.

Anonymous said...

HIs nomination is further proof that being qualified for such a position is not a necessity. However, he will answer to a far more powerful set of critics in Jefferson City than he has here. He won't buy off the big newspapers across the state like he has the Globe with its swooning editor.

Anonymous said...

My guess is he is thinking he will be safe. No investigation can touch him there. Wrong........

Run away CJ Puff. Run away.

Anonymous said...

I have very mixed feelings on the possibility of C.J. being Missouri Commissioner of Education. On the one hand, it would be great to get him out of Joplin school district before he runs it any further into the ground. On the other hand, having him directing education at the state level is frightening. At least in Joplin he is only ruining one district.

Anonymous said...

Star Trek VIII...The Final Buffet

Starring Close Joplin Huff as Cling-on General Pizza the Hutt.