Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Wallace-Bajjali to C. J. Huff: Have we got a building for you!

The moment the city of Joplin's master developer David Wallace of Wallace-Bajjali Development Partners heard that MODOT was going to reclaim the building that has been used for Joplin R-8 Administration purposes (including dark, secretive activities that must never be mentioned in the presence of state auditors), he knew he had the solution to C. J. Huff's problem, so he called his old friend.

After they exchanged pleasantries, Wallace said, "I have one word for you, C. J."

That pleased the superintendent since extra words can often be confusing.

"What's that?'

"Coke."

"Never done it, never will."

"No, that's not what I'm talking about."

"Oh, they tell me you can get a real high from Coke."

"No, No."

"All right, all right, David. I admit it. It was during a weak point in my life, but I was never able to go through with it. I got the bottle stuck in my nose. When they say it's the real thing, they're not kidding."

"No, I mean the Coca-Cola building on Main Street. You can move your whole administrative team down there and I can get it for you for a good price."

C. J. scratched his head, mulled it over and asked, "Will there be enough room for my executive director of elementary instruction and my executive director of secondary instruction?"

"Sure."

"And my executive director of executive directors?"

"You have an executive...never mind. Sure, there's enough room."

C. J. tapped his fingers. "I will have to think about it."

"Don't waste too much time, C. J. I have people lining up to take the Coca-Cola building, but you are the first one I thought of."

"I appreciate that, David. Can you hold on for just a second?"

"Sure."

David Wallace waited for several long seconds then he heard a bone-chilling scream.

"C. J." he shouted.

The superintendent responded in a voice wracked with pain. "I'll think about the offer, David. I have to go to the emergency room."

"What's wrong?"

"I tried Coke again and I got the can stuck up my nose."

"My prayers will be with you, C. J." As he hung up, the developer knew he had his Coca-Cola building problem solved.

He laughed and thought, "There's a Joplin leader born every minute."



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would this be so bad? At least not building a multi million dollar structure on some recently purchased land...

Anonymous said...

Yes, it would.
Wally B and Huff & Co all need to go away.
R8 has property that includes buildings. Memorial and Washington are available. They were okay to locate kids, surely those directors and such wouldn't mind living with the roaches, mushrooms and mold.