Saturday, February 04, 2023

Nancy Hughes: Falling down so I can look up

“Jehoshaphat bowed with his face to the ground, and all the people of Judah and Jerusalem fell down in worship before the Lord.” II Chronicles 20:18 (NIV)

There’s nothing graceful about falling down – especially when you are nine months pregnant. But that’s exactly what I did. It’s one of those moments that will stick with me forever and, on occasion, raise its ugly head and whisper, “remember that time when you fell in the yard . . .” Embarrassing. Humbling.

I was expecting our second child any day. And as often happens with “pregnancy brain” as it is called, I forgot easy tasks. Everyday routines. Again, and again. Like taking out the trash. “Oh no!” I muttered to myself. “Here comes the trash truck and I haven’t carried out the trash!” I hurriedly (for a woman the size of a baby elephant) raced out the back door with a bag of trash that was almost as big as I was.








I made it down the steps and halfway across the yard before I suddenly stepped into a hole and began to fall. Picture with me: a bag of trash in my right hand, a baby belly that kept me from seeing where to step next, and a left hand and arm flapping like a wounded bird, trying to grab something – anything – for support but finding nothing but air.

Now, falling to one’s knees is embarrassing but my rotund body just couldn’t stop there. My right arm flung the trash upward as my left one tried to cushion my continued downward movement, belly, and all. I hit the ground on my left side only seconds before the now descending trash bag AND contents landed squarely on my head, dumping it all over me, right in front of the men on the trash truck who were by then staring with mouths wide open. Before they reached my house, I somehow managed to do a side roll, get to my knees and hurry back into my home. Embarrassed. Humiliated. Covered with trash.

II Chronicles 20:18 addresses falling but it is in an entirely different context: intentionally falling down before the Lord God in reverence and worship. King Jehoshaphat was facing a horrible situation. A huge army was poised to attack Judah and the king knew that his army could not defend successfully against them. He also knew there was only one thing that he could do: go before the Lord and ask Him to provide for Judah and all the people. And that’s exactly what he did.








When the king admitted that he and his men had no power to face the army, but that God did, the Lord spoke through the Levite Jahaziel and told them to stand firm and see what He, God, would do. And King Jehoshaphat’s response? He “bowed with his face to the ground and all the people of Judah and Jerusalem fell down in worship before the Lord.”

Can I ask you a question? What is your response when there is a “huge army” threatening to attack? Maybe there are more bills than money in the bank, or your prodigal continues to stay a prodigal, or the doctor begins his conversation with “I’m sorry.” Do you try to fix the problem on your own or do you turn to the One who knows what we are going to ask before we even say a word? King Jehoshaphat didn’t know God’s answer; he simply trusted and said, “We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you.”

I encourage you to take all your fears, your worries, and your what if’s before the Lord today. Lay them at His feet and then fall before Him in worship and praise as you trust Him to fight for you.

Father, worry and fear have kept me from bringing my concerns before you but no more. All that I have is yours. I praise you for your answers. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect


What is your first response when problems pile up in your life?

Do you praise God for His answers or try to work everything out on your own?

Apply

Journal all the situations you are facing and how you have handled them so far.

Bow before the God of the Universe and give Him each of those problems as your worship and praise Him for His answers.

Power

II Chronicles 20:18 (NIV) “Jehoshaphat bowed with his face to the ground, and all the people of Judah and Jerusalem fell down in worship before the Lord.”

Leviticus 9:24 (NIV) “Fire came out from the presence of the Lord and consumed the burnt offering and the fat portions on the altar. And when all the people saw it, they shouted for joy and fell facedown.”

Psalm 95:6-7 (NIV) “Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our maker; for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care. . . “

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

No comments: