Saturday, September 19, 2026

Joplin Globe promises more local news, appears to have canceled AP


The Joplin Globe plans to increase the amount of local news in its pages (and online), according to Editor Andy Ostmeyer.

The change has already begun, Ostmeyer said in a column in today's edition.

It is our plan to continue to prioritize more local news — our franchise — while trusting readers to get their national and international news from the best sources they can find.
Ostmeyer noted that the Globe has been eliminating many of its syndicated features, undoubtedly as part of the parent company's ongoing project to cut costs.








One of the syndicated features that was eliminated, Ostmeyer said, was a medical advice column. That will be replaced by locally written medical columns.

Ostmeyer didn't come right out and say it, but it's apparent that the Globe is no longer using Associated Press articles, undoubtedly due to budget cuts.

The local emphasis appears to be on display in today's editione, but mainly in the form of columns. By my count, the edition includes nine locally produced columns and a local editorial demanding the resignation of Secretary of State Denny Hoskins.

The local columns are a mixed bag. The only columns that are news-oriented are Wally Kennedy's business column, always a highlight, and Ostmeyer's.








The opinion page includes a column by Globe Managing Editor Jerry Willis. I probably should know who that is, but I've never heard of him. (Actually, I believe he has been a designer for the paper, so this could be a promotion.)

What the Globe lacks is local news stories. The Saturday paper is supposed to be the Globe's showcase paper of the week, what used to be the now extinct Sunday edition.

Today's edition has three page one local stories, two by John Hacker and one by Debby Woodin. I didn't see any others, except for two sports stories.

I'll be interested in seeing what the weekday editions will look like.





10 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:51 AM

    Everything is either On-Line, Streaming Services and News including Local, State, National, and International News. The Days of trying to Monetize Printed Newspapers, Magazines, or Catalogs are becoming harder and harder, their Cost of Advertising and Posting Obituaries has gone through the roof. Even though I still enjoy holding and reading a good book, newspaper, or catalog instead of the similar digital product - I am sure those days are numbered too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:52 AM

    I hope the Globe puts the local mandate into effect on their sports pages, too. I have no interest in reading their NFL predictions and major college coverage. I can find that a hundred other places. What I can't find anywhere else is how Joplin, Webb City, Carthage, Carl Junction, and Neosho are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:25 PM

      The current sports staff doesn’t have the manpower or ability to cover local sports. Completely useless and unknowledgeable about the local sports scene.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:32 PM

    I don't see how they're going to produce more local news without increasing the staff...they have just two full-time news reporters and one full-time sports reporter. And here's a question: Will there still be KC Chiefs content without AP stories? I wish them luck...we need a solid, local paper in the area...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:48 PM

    Globe will be a weekly newspaper within a year. Already irrelevant. Another step closer to extinction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:37 AM

    Randy I always get a kick of how you kinda talk down the Globe the Press etc. like they are doing it wrong and have no idea what to do… But I sure noticed you didn’t start a newspaper you started a blog… Just food for thought…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:28 AM

      But I sure noticed you didn’t start a newspaper you started a blog

      Randy's apparently much smarter than you are and we are all better for all his hard work.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:51 AM

      You have a point (on top of your head)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous10:04 AM

    I’m not in the business of defending Mr.Turner, but … it is a lot more cost efficient to operate a blog vs. printed newspaper. No need to buy a printing press, news print, ink, employees, etc.

    Globe had its own press, a very nice modern one, couldn’t make a profit on it despite all the niche publications and side print jobs.

    Print is dead people. Has been dying for decades and the death march is a slow, steady decline of society. Newspapers and their business model failed to adjust decades ago and now even the largest of publications Springfield, Kansas City, etc, are starting to fall apart. Globe is one of many that won’t make much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:59 PM

    Oh my goodness how dumb are you people it’s obviously cheaper to do a blog, print is obviously dead, y’all must have had couple of bowls of dumbies for breakfast. My point is Randy says nobody’s doing it right, but didn’t try it himself. Basically I’m saying don’t complain if you have no skin in the game.

    ReplyDelete