Thursday, September 10, 2026

MoDOT schedules public meetings on southwest I-44 improvements


(From MoDOT)

Forward 44: Southwest I-44 Improvements Project In Newton, Jasper, Lawrence, Greene, & Webster Counties Focus of a Public Hearing on September 24 in Springfield

Newton, Jasper, Lawrence, Greene, and Webster Counties — Those interested in the Forward 44: Southwest I-44 Improvements Project in Newton, Jasper, Lawrence, Greene, and Webster Counties are invited to a public hearing to discuss proposed improvements and project information on Thursday, September 24, in Springfield, the Missouri Department of Transportation said.

The come-and-go style meeting will be held 4:30 – 6 p.m., Thursday, September 24, at the Wilson Logistics Arena at the Empire Fair Grounds, 3001 N. Grant Ave, Springfield. No formal presentation is planned. Those who attend may come at any time between 4:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. to learn about the project, ask questions, and leave comments.








Those unable to attend the in-person meeting can view exhibits and obtain project information at www.modot.org/southwest. Comments on this project can be mailed in, emailed, or submitted online through the project website until Thursday, October 8. For those unable to access the online meeting, contact MoDOT’s Southwest District Office, and accommodations will be made to share the information and gather feedback.

A second public hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, November 17, 2026, from 4:30–6 p.m. at Victory Christian Center, 13996 Burr Oak Road, Carthage. A separate news release will be issued as we get closer to the date.

MoDOT is committed to providing access to this event for all participants. If you need a reasonable accommodation or translation services, please contact Southwest District Communications at 417.895.7600 by September 18. For those unable to access the online meeting, contact MoDOT’s Southwest District Office, and accommodations will be made to share the information and gather feedback.

Project proposed improvements:

High Friction Surface Treatment on the I-44 curves east of Range Line Road in Joplin

Interchange improvements at the I-49N interchange in Fidelity

Pavement improvements on I-44 east of Sarcoxie in Lawrence County

Addition of a westbound I-44 3rd lane from Missouri Route 266 (Chestnut Expressway) in Springfield to Route B in Webster County

Addition of an eastbound I-44 3rd lane from Chestnut Expressway to mile marker 91.2

Existing pavement improvements from Chestnut Expressway to Route B

Widening and rehabilitation of the I-44 bridges over the BNSF railroad







Replacement of the Route EE (Division Street) bridge over I-44 in Springfield

Geometric improvements and bridge replacement at Missouri Route 744 (Kearney Street) in Springfield

Interchange improvements at U.S. Route 160 (West Bypass), Missouri Route 13 (Kansas Expressway), Grant Avenue, and U.S. Route 65 in Springfield

Relocation and expansion of the eastbound truck parking lot east of Strafford

Realignment of the eastbound curve from Mile Marker 92.2 to 93.4

Pavement improvements and interchange ramp extensions on I-44 from Route B through Conway in Webster and Laclede Counties

Construction is scheduled to begin in Fall 2026 with completion by November 2031.

This $471 million project includes $328 million in General Revenue funding provided by the General Assembly and approved by the governor.

No comments: