Tuesday, October 19, 2004

At first, I thought the idea of the Neosho R-5 Board of Education holding two meetings Monday night to discuss a possible bond issue was an innovative one. Then after careful consideration, I realized that what I thought was two meetings was simply two media outlets with vastly different perspectives.
This morning's Joplin Globe indicated there is a group of people with strong concerns about any bond issue proposed by the current board and administration in the R-5 School District.
This evening's Neosho Daily News presented an outlook of the meeting that was a polar opposite. Everyone is pulling together to figure out a way to get a bond issue passed, which is greatly needed by the school district, and there is no dissension in the community.
Media outlets control what the public knows through their careful selection of which facts to use. The Globe emphasized a group of citizens who don't trust the current school leadership. The Daily took a non-critical approach that seemed a bit Pollyannaish.
The Globe needs to learn to even the scales with some positive coverage, while the Daily and other area small-town newspapers need to learn that the community needs a newspaper that is willing to explore all sides of an issue, even if some of those sides may be opposed to the powers that be. The power brokers in a town come and go over the space of a few years. If you win over the readers, you will have them forever.
***
The Daily and the local TV stations report that former Diamond High School principal Robert Blizzard pleaded guilty an indecent exposure charge in Oklahoma and was given a 10-year suspended sentence and placed on probation for 10 years. This is truly a sad, sad story.
***
A Carthage woman's killer will stay behind bars.
Leroy Norman, convicted of second degree murder in connection with the July 23, 2000, death of Lauren "Angel" Wallis, 24, was turned down Monday by the Missouri Southern District Court of Appeals in his bid for a new trial.
Norman's attorneys never claimed that he did not slit Mrs. Wallis's throat following a drunken party at a Carthage home. His appeal was based on alleged procedural errors by the judge.
According to court records, Ms. Wallis made what turned out to be a fatal mistake when she agreed to buy beer for 19-year-old Sandra Guzman, Carthage, and several of Ms. Guzman's underage friends. Miss Wallis then tried to hang around and party with the teenagers, which did not sit well with Ms. Guzman.
Ms. Guzman asked a partygoer named Andy Kelly to throw out Ms. Wallis, who was by that time intoxicated, according to court records. He took her outside and threw her in a dumpster, but she returned to the party.
The decision indicates that Ms. Guzman and Kelly got Norman to drive them to Springfield to get the illegal drug Ecstasy. Norman and Ms. Guzman rode in the cab while Kelly and Mrs. Wallis were in the truck bed.
Apparently, Kelly grew annoyed with Mrs. Wallis and asked Norman and Ms. Guzman if he could kill her. They pulled the truck over on TT Highway next to a low-water bridge near Republic. Court records indicate Kelly choked Mrs. Wallis. He repeatedly kicked her in the head. He then suggested they should just leave her there and let her find her own way home.
The court opinion says, "(Norman) then pulled out a knife and, as Guzman and Kelly both shouted, 'No,' slit (Mrs Wallis's) throat." Norman and Kelly threw the body over the side of the bridge and into the stream.
Norman, Kelly, and Ms. Guzman returned to Carthage. Norman and Kelly "bragged about the killing and Kelly suggested they go on a killing spree when they returned home," according to the opinion.
They stopped at a convenience store. When Norman and Ms. Guzman returned to the car, Kelly had vanished. Norman told Ms. Guzman he would "have to cut (Kelly's) throat, too."
Ms. Guzman reported the murder the next morning to the Carthage Police Department. Greene County Sheriff's deputies found Mrs. Wallis's body where Ms. Guzman said it would be. The autopsy showed it was the cutting of her throat which had killed her despite all of the damage that had been done to her by Kelly.
Kelly was arrested later that day, still wearing the same shirt he had been wearing the night before, according to the court opinion. Officers stopped Norman's car later that day, but he had loaned it to Demetrio Cortez to move some furniture.
Tests run on a knife found in the cab proved negative for the presence of blood, but three spots on a pair of shoes he had left in the truck matched Mrs. Wallis's DNA.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an article about the murder of my sister Lauren Wallis. I have been trying to find out where the two men, Leroy L Norman and Andy Kelly are incarcarated and what the status of their sentence is. If you have more information please contact me. Jenna Clinkscales

Anonymous said...

Andy Kelly is serving time in a prison in Springfield Missouri.

Anonymous said...

Leroy Norman is in Jefferson City Correctional Center for life and Andy Kelly is in South Central Correctional Center in Licking, MO for 15 years.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if my other comment had went through or not, but Leroy Norman is in Jefferson City Correctional Center for life and Andy Kelly is in South Central Correctional Center in Licking, MO for 15 years. I know how you feel, Andy Kelly killed my daughter when I was about 8 1/2 mos. pregnant.

Marilyn Mahaney said...

Lauren (our family called her Angel) left four children and a husband behind. She was a sweet girl that will always be loved. I hope the parole board remembers that she was brutally attacked, murdered and left like a dog on the side of the road. She will always be our Angel and nothing can ever take that away.

Anonymous said...

my name is chelsea, im laurens daughter. i was in 9 yrs old when my mother died. iT still impacts me to this day. i will never forgive these monsters that did it. kelly deserves more than 15 yrs. im glad to see that people care. iv never met you aunt jenna, but thankyou. RIP MOM

Anonymous said...

Leroy Norman is my brother and he is not a monster. He had never committed a crime in his life. I believe he was set up by this Sandra and Andy. He is a wrongfully convicted man.

jenna said...

Chelsea, please contact me if you see this. jennaclinkscales@yahoo.com

Thanks you to all that remember Lauren.
If indeed Mr. Norman was set up then that is even more sad but I have never had my doubts that he was involved and running with the wrong people and would have done some thing sooner or later, monster or not.

Anonymous said...

I feel for your family and your loss but hanging with the wrong crowd and speculation of future wrong doings should not warrant 2 life sentences for a crime that he did not commit. He was misrepresented in court by a poor public defender and Sandra's story changed more often than Missouri weather. It is sad that the police took her word for it even after she admitted to doing horrible things to Lauren earlier that night. That being said, Lee is as still as kind and sweet at he was the last time I seen him free, even after 10 years in prison. He has never been in trouble and even is been in the privileged block and working a job ever since entering prison. I know it is useless to try to convince the convinced but if you knew Lee, you wouldn't call him a monster

Anonymous said...

I have since gotten reaquinted with my sister's girl's. and have read that one of the men took a good turn while in prison by taking the teachings of Buddha and ministering to other's in the prison system. I hope that this is a path the he stays on and I have since found a way to forgive them. I sure would like to know what was going thru their heads tho...what makes someone do these things. I think that would help our family a lot...and an apology. It's too late for our mother but the rest of us would benefit I think.
Peace to all. RIP little sis.

Anonymous said...

I was visiting my dad when this happened Angel was my dads girlfriend aunt.. I remember this lit it was yesterday one day she was there and the next day ... I still reneger the moment it was confirmed that the lady in the creek was her.. I still have several pics of her and still think about her from time to time.. Miss you Angel

Anonymous said...

15 years and it still hurts. I heard that Kelly was already out...is this true? and if so why and where is he now?

Anonymous said...

Yes in Carthage Missouri

Unknown said...

Andrew Kelly has been releases as of July 2015

Anonymous said...

This is Andy Kelly and I still have night mares from that night... I don't pretend to be the nicest person but I cannot believe the things I am hearing... People will believe what they want to... I am sorry it happened and if I could go back I would stop the whole nights events... To the friends and family I am sorry that it happened...

Steve capistan said...

You lost touch with the truth a long time ago "anonymous"

Anonymous said...

well if u r so sorry why won't u meet me.

Anonymous said...

I remember that event like it was yesterday. I was 19, pregnant and in that truck the following day. I was dating the guy that borrowed the truck and was in that truck when they pulled us over. I was terrified. I can remember exactly where we got pulled over, can describe every house that was around us. I can even remember what everyone looked like all the way down to clothes that we where wearing. I will never forget the undercover officer that pulled out the rifle and propped it ontop of the hood of his truck aimed at us and everybody yelling. I was so confused I didn't know what was going on...definitely the innocent in the wrong place at the wrong time...I think about it all the time. Thinking about her family and how this could have impacted everyone. Let me tell you, for a 19 year old...its a lot to take in. I said all of that to say this and have been waiting for a very long time...to her family, I am so deeply sorry for your loss. Even though we don't know each other, I think about you all the time and I pray that God gives you piece.

Anonymous said...

Andy is not improved he is aimless and lives off other peoples sweat like he deserves their pity he has little to no remorse for what he did

Anonymous said...

Because he hides behind what he thinks it's a tough guy act, until it comes down to it. He's a POS who attacks women. Plain and simple. I've seen how he treats women, young and old, and it's disgusting. He lies constantly. There is no doubt in my mind that he killed Angel. His Buddhist beliefs are just another form of "prison religion". This dude does not have a good bone in him. He uses people for his own gain. I wouldn't be surprised if, one day, some other innocent soul loses their life at his hands. All you have to do is drive around Carthage, but odds are you won't find him. He hides away don't drugs and playing with knives and guns, because he knows people are looking for him. He acts likes everybody around him is to blame for his how his life turned out. He never shows an ounce of remorse for anything, until he gets caught. He made his girlfriend stay on the phone with him ALL DAY. Literally, all day long. If she had to hang up for work he'd call back and yell at her, calling her all kinds of horrible things. He wants to play the victim. I can't stand that guy and I hope retribution catches up to him before somebody else gets hurt.

Anonymous said...

I am Lauren's sister and I have never read these comments before today. Thank you for the kind words. But I still don't believe there was any remorse.