It was unusual to see that kind of photo issued with a Joplin Police Department news release, but it was a shoe that told a story.
At the time the news release was issued, it was a long shot effort to identify the pedestrian who had been critically injured in an accident at 20th and Range Line.
Hours after the photo was published on Facebook, on Inside Joplin, and was shared throughout the area, the photo symbolized something else- it became something that had been worn by a young man who died at a Joplin hospital.
It was something that belonged to Matt Collins, 16.
The desperate search for the young man's identity was the most-visited post this week in Inside Joplin, with updates on the story finishing second and fourth in the top 10.
A story that grabbed readers' attention last week- the road rage murder of a Carthage man- topped the Turner Report list and also was the third most visited post.
The Top 10 lists for the Turner Report, Inside Joplin and Inside Joplin Obituaries are printed below with links to each one:
The Turner Report
1. Accused road rage killer says $50,000 cash-only bond is "excessive and unreasonable"
2. Joplin man who assaulted, videoed nine-year-old girl sentenced to 26 years
3. Preliminary hearing set in road-rage murder, judge rejects bond reduction motion
4. Court records: Joplin teen charged with drive-by shooting accused of pointing a gun at another man in October
5. Arraignment scheduled for Carthage man accused of stalking woman, trespassing, threatening to beat in her skull
6. Former Rangeline Sonic supervisor pleads not guilty to sixth drunk driving offense
7. Cynthia Davis on Sarah Sanders incident and Maxine Waters: The hate from the left is real
8. New ownership for Joplin Globe? Company that owns Globe is exploring sale of newspaper properties
9. Joplin man charged with kidnapping, assault connected to Christmas Eve murder
10. Three years ago this month, Silver Lining in a Funnel Cloud published
1. Joplin Police need help identifying pedestrian seriously injured in accident at 20th and Range Line
2. Unidentified pedestrian in accident at 20th and Range Line dies at local hospital, deceased estimated to be 16 to 20 years old
3. Joplin Police Department searching for missing teen
4. Joplin teen identified as pedestrian killed in accident at 20th and Range Line
5. Highway Patrol Arrests June 27-28
6. Missing Joplin teen located and is safe
7. Joplin, Webb City men arrested on assault, kidnapping charges
8. Jasper County Marriage Licenses
9. Joplin Police Department Weekend Arrests
10. Joplin Police rescue 20-month-old accidentally locked in car in dangerous heat
Inside Joplin Obituaries
1. Greg Kivett
2. Jarrod McGuirk
3. Piper Spiva
4. Jacob Rushing
5. Brad Windle
6. Charlie Ann Gurley
7. Tom Danner
8. Jason Kubicki
9. Rocky Sharpe
10. Marvin Roughton
It has not been a good month for the Turner Report/Inside Joplin as far as revenue is concerned. Subscriptions and contributions have dropped dramatically the last several weeks, coupled with the unfortunate need for emergency repairs on the computer that is being used to type this post.
The Turner Report, Inside Joplin and Inside Joplin Obituaries average more than 23,000 readers a day. Many of you have subscribed or contributed in the past and if you have done so in the past year, this message is not directed at you. You have helped provide an alternative source of news and commentary for this area, one that has stepped up when others haven't on many occasions and will do again.
That being said, I am sure many of you have thought about making a contribution but have not done so.
Consider subscribing or making a contribution of any amount, large or small, by using the PayPal buttons below or by mailing a contribution to Randy Turner, 2306 E. 8th, Apt. G, Joplin, MO 64801