Sunday, September 14, 2008

Newtonia Fall Festival goes well

The heavier rain held off until after the 33rd annual Newtonia Fall Festival Saturday, enabling the Newtonia Betterment Association to recover some of the money it needs to continue to rebuild after the May 10 tornadoes.

I was surprised that more media attention wasn't paid to the event, since it was the first real community gathering since the tornado. I noticed Jennifer Bowman of the Newton County News there, and I am sure Todd Higdon of the Neosho Daily News was there earlier in the day, but I did not see any television crews there, which was surprising since weekends are traditionally the time when news story options are limited on local TV.

After being rained out last year, our band, Natural Disaster performed following the parade, and things went well with that.

The Citizen of the Year was Jim Riggs, who was teaching at East Newton High School when I was a student there in the early '70s. Jim, an accomplished singer, also performed a few gospel tunes to close out the festivities.

Photos of the activity will run next week in the Newton County News.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wrong again, Randy. Todd Higdon was nowhere to be seen, however, two other Neosho reporters were there...since you were in Newtonia, how does the big mansion look now? You did go have a look didn't you?

Randy said...

fail to see where this antagonism is coming from. I complimented the Neosho Daily News, which I knew had covered the festival. In the past, Higdon has covered most of the stories involving Newtonia, but what does it really matter. I am happy to correct the record, but can't anybody take a compliment any more? And what is this nonsense about the mansion? I have posted several items about the mansion, the destruction that occurred May 10 and the efforts being made to restore the building. I was there yesterday, donating my time for my hometown. I did not tour the mansion, but the mansion is only a part of the activities of the Newtonia Fall Festival, so what difference does that make? I suggest you direct your anger at someone who deserves it. If my trying to help my hometown and complimenting the Neosho Daily News stirs your anger, I would suggest you are the one with problems

Anonymous said...

Wasn't me, Randy. I did write the story, but I really don't care who is mentioned or not, just so it is understood our paper was there.

I wouldn't have commented, but since the Ritchey Mansion was brought up by the anon, and not knowing if you were aware of my recent connection with it, I didn't want it to be thought I was the anonymous poster.

Besides, I always sign my real name.

Randy said...

I never thought it was you, Wes.