Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Big decisions for Globe

I am eager to see the Wednesday morning Globe to see how the editors handled placement of several major news stories.
During one news cycle, the following things happened:
-President Bush indicated that he is willing to compromise on his Social Security plan.
-A top-ranking military official has said that the U. S. and the insurgents are "at a stalemate" in Iraq.
-A former KKK official was found guilty of manslaughter in connection with the 1964 murders of three civil rights workers...murders that spurred the passage of landmark civil rights legislation.
The Globe's website indicates that the top local story is going to be Brandie McLean's dissatisfaction with the Jasper County prosecuting attorney's decision not to press charges against the Alba foster parents whose natural son shot her son, Braxton Wooden, to death. That story, obviously, is going to get major play.
I just wonder how the Globe editors will handle the feel-good tabloid story about the young scout who was found alive in Utah after a lengthy search. I would play that story with a little plug above the banner and let the really important national and international stories get the space they deserve on page one.
Remember that the stories a newspaper puts on page one are an indication of what the newspaper's editors think is important.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Turner, you obviously know so much, why aren't you an editor or publisher?

Randy said...

I was an editor, as well as being a reporter for most of my 22 years in print journalism. While I thoroughly enjoyed my time in that business, and enjoy keeping my hand in with this blog, I love teaching. That was also the part of journalism I enjoyed the most. And to be honest, there has been no great public outcry for me to return to journalism as a full-time vocation.

Anonymous said...

I wonder why????????????????