Wednesday, June 08, 2005

KODE predicts freezing rain

KODE was the only station to jump on the biggest weather story of the century. As the thermometer climbed to 90 degrees today, I was surprised as I flipped through the channels on my remote and found KODE declaring that freezing rain was on its way at about 2 p.m.
The map showed the words "freezing rain" above it while the crawl at the bottom of the screen indicated that Cedar, Dade, and Lawrence counties were in for freezing rain. I wasn't in any of those counties, so naturally I believed it was true.
I didn't think things could get much worse until shortly before 2:30 p.m. when the words "blizzard warning" flashed across the screen. I kept flipping through the channels and when I returned to KODE, I discovered that not only had the area apparently escaped the freezing rain and the blizzard, but the station had no map and no crawl.
Meanwhile, KSNF and KOAM were talking about tornado watches and flash flood warnings.

No comments: