Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Sowers concedes Eighth District race to Emerson

Unsuccessful Democratic challenger Tommy Sowers in the Eighth Congressional District just released the following statement:

“I just spoke with Congresswoman Emerson, congratulated her, and thanked her for her 14 years of service. She and I both agree that now is the time to set aside our differences and to work together for the future of Missouri.


“We took a ‘Boots on the Ground’ approach to our campaign. I went out in my truck with my dog Chuck, and we met thousands of folks at restaurants, parades, and churches and I worked alongside them and learned their challenges and struggles, and their hopes and dreams. On our three Boots on the Grounds tours we put 48,000 miles on the truck.

“I was backed by a tremendous field organization of staff and volunteers who made 165,321 calls and knocked on 24,082 doors.

“I was supported by veterans across the 8th who came together to form Veterans for Sowers. These men and women joined me at parades, talked to fellow veterans, visited VFWs, and gave me the strength to keep fighting

“Together we accomplished so much. We gave the voters a true choice for the first time in 14 years. We challenged both parties and the President on the Afghanistan War, calling for a reassessment of our strategy and for Congress to step up and have a debate about our future there. We gave voice to those who have lost their jobs as they went overseas due to trade deals that forgot rural America. We called for a new day here, to reinvest in infrastructure for the future of our home

“And what I am most proud of - we put democracy in the hands of so many supporters who made phone calls, spread the word about our campaign, knocked on doors, and believed in something bigger than themselves. We organized and fought together for the future of our home.

“The fight for our home does not stop just because we don’t like the outcome of this election. Progress never comes easy. I thank you for putting your faith in this campaign and in me.”

No comments: