Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hartzler condemns Tucson attack

Fourth District Congresswoman Vicky Hartzler issued the following news release concerning Saturday's murders in Tucson:

Congresswoman Vicky Hartzler (MO-4) has joined U.S. House colleagues to condemn in the strongest possible terms the horrific attack which occurred Saturday in Tucson, Arizona, at an event hosted by Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and to honor those who, through their participation in the most basic right of a democracy, tragically lost their lives.”

“I have been praying for Gabrielle’s recovery since learning of this sickening and senseless attack,” said Hartzler. “My colleagues, Republican and Democrat, are unified in offering our heartfelt condolences to the families, friends, and loved ones of Gabrielle and others who were killed or injured in the attack. We are also expressing our hope for the speedy and complete recovery of all who were wounded. At the same time we applaud the bravery of individuals who acted quickly to prevent the gunman from taking the lives of more innocent people.”

“The right to peaceably assemble and petition their government remains a bedrock principle of a free society which must be protected and preserved,” added Hartzler. “I remain committed to an open discourse with those I serve.”

1 comment:

Jeff Billington said...

I think it's fine that Hartzler released this, with every other member of Congress releasing one it would have been strange for her not to have one really. But, you can tell she has yet to meet Rep. Giffords (which is understandable since they'd only served together in the House for less than a week when the shootings happened), because about the first think that comes out of Gifford's mouth when you meet her is "call me Gabby." That's what she told me the first time I met her when she was in the Arizona state house and then she reminded me of it the next couple of times I got to talk with her.