Friday, June 05, 2009

Some thoughts about Kylie Leyva



Facebook and other social networking sites offer snapshots of our lives.

When those lives end, the pages remain, a never-changing portrait. For Nevada High School student Kylie Leyva, the Facebook updates stopped forever when she was stabbed to death, along with her friend, Anne Reed, 18, May 27. The man arrested by the Nevada Police Department, Garrett Mason, 17, is scheduled for his next court appearance next Thursday. Judge Neal Quitno will hear a motion for a continuance and a change of judge Monday in Vernon County Circuit Court.

When news of Kylie's death circulated, two friends went to her Facebook page and left heartfelt messages that would never be read by their intended recipient. The first one read:

i'm going to miss you. all the times all of us jumped on the trampoline in your back yard and i ran around and jumped over stuff.. :). but at least you're in a better place now.. r.i.p. kylie


And the second:

I know we weren't close at all but I do know that you were/are cared for a lot. I remember when we had mrs west as a teacher 7th grade year and we always got in trouble for talking. RIP girl. your safer there than here. love you!


The rest of Kylie Leyva's Facebook page features the musings of a typical teen, one who was described in her obituary with these words: :"She loved music, her friends, and her phone."

Kylie had 45 Facebook friends and was described as being "in a relationship." She described herself in this way- "I'm fun and I love to know what ppl think of me, but then again, I think we all do."

What people thought of Kylie Leyva is evident in the messages that were left on the Ferry Funeral Home guestbook, including this one:

Kylie was always there for me when i needed her the most or just to hang out she always had that big smile on her face i loved it she made me smile. and to think of all the good times we have had together they make me feel good to know i had a friend like her.


And this one:

I went to school with kylie until the beginning of the eighth grade and then i moved to Arkansas.. We've emailed some and kept in touch.. I got on facebook last sunday and everyone had told me!! I will miss her deeply! She was a VERY VERY good friend! She will always be in my heart! And to the family, Im so sorry! You raised an amazing daughter she was a great friend and i will always miss her!


As someone who deals with 13 and 14-year-old students on a daily basis, I have a hard time imagining losing one of my students or former students in such a horrific way. Over the next several months, we will likely be hearing a lot about Garrett Mason, the man accused of ending the lives of two high school students. The victims should not be forgotten.

In a final bit of irony, just a few short weeks before her life was ended by a senseless act, Kylie joined the Facebook group "Live, Love, and Breathe."

Kylie Leyva was murdered three days before her 15th birthday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is indeed tragic. My condolences to the family. Was there ever a motive as to why this happened?

Jason said...

What a tragedy.

Anonymous said...

So sad, my condolences to this family, my kind thoughts are also with the family of the young man that took their lives too.

Everyone suffers great loss at a time like this. His parents are just as saddened.

No one wins at a time like this, "justice" as we call it doesn't bring anyone back.
Dave R

Rebeca said...

Can anybody tell me how to create group in Facebook ?

Unknown said...

As a resident of Nevada and as a father of a young man who knew Kylie's friend very well, months later I find myself still saddened about the horrible events of last May. Like I told someone the other day, there has been kind of a "pall" cast over this town ever since that Sunday evening. But we must be thankful for Kylie and Annie and for what they did for everyone in their very short time here on earth.
David S.

ty rrington said...

I miss u so much kylie I loved u and all the time u all ways told me to stay strong and let the drama go past u and stay out of trouble and u loved me I miss u so much sissy every night I cry and thinking what could I have done to save u that day and to Anny I didn't know u that well but I miss and love u all ways u both r in my prayers and to garret I hope u stay in prison for killing my sister
-ty