Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Montee: Democratic Party has to start from scratch

Newly elected Missouri Democratic Party Chairman Susan Montee outlined her plans for 2011 in a message issued today:

I was recently selected as Chair of the Missouri Democratic Party. My first act was to look at the books – checkbooks, planning documents, payrolls. The inspection pretty much confirmed what I had expected: Missouri Democrats will have to start from scratch in 2011.


This not a completely bad thing.

It means that my predecessor and his staff left nothing on the table in the November 2010 General Election. Given the number of seats Democrats narrowly lost (and narrowly won) around the state, having left money or resources in the coffers would have been unconscionable.

So, we must start again.

I propose we begin with 3 first principles: (1) We campaign to win, (2) We campaign for Missouri issues, and (3) We remember who our friends are. From these planks will come our plans to re-elect a senator, a governor, and a president – and a plan to re-take the seats in the state house and senate that should be Democratic.

I want to involve you from the beginning, including sharing my thoughts with you on a regular basis – and asking you for help when we need it.

So: I need help. There really is no money.

If you want to help rebuild the Missouri Democratic Party as an independent, functional campaign and recruiting entity, please click here to send $25, $50, or $150 today to the Missouri Democratic Party. I will use the money to begin the rebuilding.

I am beginning with you, because I know you will probably help. You probably also know people who will help. Please forward this email to them, with a note from you. Together, we can do something important.

In 10 days, I will let you know how much money this email raised and how many good Democrats and Independents contributed to the effort.

I thank you in advance for your help.

No comments: