Thursday, May 26, 2011

Couple refuse to leave home they bought in 1948 for $2,500

The Kansas City Star reports on a couple who will not leave though their house, on the fringe of the area hit by the tornado Sunday, was severely damaged:

The tornado took windows from his house and part of his roof, but Jessy Ford wants it known it’s not taking him.

He’s 88 and bought the place for $2,500 when he and Barbara got married in 1948.

“I’m not leaving,” he said Wednesday on his front porch as he took a break from cleanup. “This is our home. Where would we go?”

Hundreds, if not thousands, of people in this torn-apart city say the same thing. No roof, no windows, no lights, no matter — they’re staying put.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Heartbreaking.

Anonymous said...

I don't blame him one bit. Given the exact same circumstances my spouce and I would CAMP on our land.

I would never leave my home. Like he said, where would you go? It's home and that's where I'd want to be.

I hope he is able to rebuild.