Friday, April 15, 2022

Nancy Hughes: Four little words


“The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said . . .”

Matthew 28: 5-6 (NIV)


I am amazed at the significance that four little words can have in our lives. Let me give you some examples:

“The toilet is overflowing.” (“Where is the plunger?”)

“My mother-in-law is early.” (“The house is trashed!”)

“You have been fired.” (“I have no job.”)

But perhaps the most significant, most important four words that have ever been spoken, I believe, are these: “Just as He said.”








In Matthew 28, we are told that after the Sabbath, two women went to the tomb where the body of Jesus had been placed after He was crucified. They needed to prepare Jesus’ body for permanent burial.

However, when the women arrived, they found an angel sitting on the stone that had previously been rolled in front of the tomb opening. In verses 5 and 6 we read “The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said . . .”

If we can’t believe Jesus, if we can’t take Him at His Word - “just as He said” - then there is no need for the Bible. Forget Scripture, forget the promises, forget forgiveness and grace, and certainly forget salvation and resurrection.

But, if we DO believe those four little words with such a powerful meaning, then nothing prevents us from believing every other promise He has made in His Word.

Promises like this: Isaiah 41:13 (NIV): “For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.” Or the promise in Hebrews 13:5 that “. . . Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

And one of my favorite promises in Scripture: “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” Hebrews 8:12 (NIV)

The choice is ours: take God at His Word or rely on our own earthly wisdom. I choose four little words that promise Truth in everything He says. What about you?

Father, I do not understand everything that is in your Word but I believe you and trust you with my life every minute of every day. Keep my focus on you. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

Is God’s Word also God’s Truth in your life?

Do you find that you sometimes doubt whether God really means what He says to you in His Word?

Apply


Keep a daily journal of the Lord’s promises to you.

Begin each entry with “Just as He said . . .” and then write down His promise.

Power

Matthew 28: 5-6 (NIV) “The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said…”

Proverbs 30:5-6 (NIV) “Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.”

John 17:17 (NIV) “Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great! Thanks!