Thursday, July 09, 2009

Cynthia Davis offers reflections on Independence Day

In her latest capital report, Rep. Cynthia Davis, R-O'Fallon, offers thoughts on Independence Day:

On Sunday morning my pastor began by saying, “I’d rather have a rainy Independence Day than no Independence Day at all.” What a great point. This was my 16th consecutive year to participate in the O’Fallon parade and this is the first time I had to carry an umbrella. I didn’t send any parade photos because it’s hard to get a good one when the representative is drenched! So instead I am sending this photo of Betsy from a card I passed out at the parade. (The report included an artist's conception of Betsy Ross sewing the American flag.)

The tone of this year’s parade was in many ways more meaningful. With a decrease in attendance, I was left with more time to think about the statement our actions are making. Before that parade was a third over, I could feel the water squishing between my toes in my boots. I had hemmed my Betsy Ross skirt to be the perfect length for a dry walk, not thinking that a soaked skirt would add about four inches to the length! I of course realized that my difficulties couldn’t begin to compare with those who endured hardship and death to secure our liberty. They left behind bloody footprints in the harsh winter snow. I -on the other hand- ruined just a pair of boots.

I am so very proud to be an American and count it a privilege to serve the great state of Missouri. That is why our float proudly displayed an 8 x 12 foot colonial flag. Our float was right behind the VFW float which was playing patriotic songs. Our faith in our Foundation and Sustainer is the common thread through most patriotic music. We owe a debt of gratitude to those who forged the path of freedom, yet we must remember that their commitment was based upon the belief that “all men are created equal and are endowed by THEIR CREATOR with certain unalienable rights…” As I listened to their music I realized it is all about asking God to continue to bless America. No offense to any atheist readers, but all we hold dear in this country comes from our common belief in the Judeo-Christian ethic. It is our Christianity that teaches us tolerance and love for our neighbor. It is also our Christianity that teaches us why we have a rule of law. We owe an enormous debt of gratitude to our founding fathers for giving us a rich heritage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And it's our Christianity that tells to "take care of the least of these" even if that is providing a good summertime meal at school!