Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wilson: Ethics legislation should be bi-partisan

In a recent report to this constituents, Rep. Kevin Wilson, R-Neosho, appointed by Speaker of the House Ron Richard, R-Joplin, to be chairman of the Special Committee on Government Accountability and Ethics Reform said he wanted the committee's final product to be bipartisan:

Most of you have probably heard the news that I have been tabbed to chair another legislative committee- this one on Government Accountability and Ethics Reform.

This came about quickly after I arrived at the Capitol on Tuesday. I was asked if I would serve on the committee which I gladly agreed to, but then I found out on Wednesday that the Speaker wanted me not only to serve but to also chair the committee.

After the announcement, many members of the media asked me what I thought of the various proposals floating around to reform state government and I had to tell them that they needed to give me some time to get my arms wrapped around this new committee responsibility.

I headed back this session prepared to focus all my energies on health care but now I have two very serious priorities up on which to focus-not just one.

I feel very humbled and honored that the Speaker has the confidence in me to craft a bi-partisan bill that will address both government accountability and ethics reform in the state of Missouri.

And when I say bi-partisan, I mean just that. I don't mean that I want one or two Democrats to support the final bill but rather I want this to be a truly cooperative effort with broad support on both sides of the aisle.

In today's political environment that could be a difficult task so I ask for your thoughts and prayers as the committee tackles this huge issue.

No comments: