Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Accused double-murderer sues sheriff

Jasper County authorities say Micah Joel Holman brutally murdered Marvin and Peggy Steverson of Carthage, and then burned their home to erase the evidence, but Holman also has a complaint against them.
Holman, who currently receives his mail at the Jasper County Jail, claims that Sheriff Archie Dunn and his deputies have violated his civil rights by going through that mail, so naturally he is suing them.
In documents filed Tuesday in U. S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri, Holman claims that on Sept,. 3 "I was given my mail by Detention Officer Graham, which consisted of legal mail, clearly marked as such, from my attorney of record, Mr. Joe Zuzul, public defender, 121 West Cherry Street, Nevada, MO.
"I believe my attorney/client privilege was violated by the opening of this mail, mainly the third and fourth amendments."
Upset that his constitutional rights had been so grossly abused, the accused killer set out to put things right. He asked an officer, "Do you remember handing me a letter from my attorney that had been opened." The officer said he did, but that he wasn't the one who had done it.
Holman went into Sherlock Holmes mode, attempting to determine who had messed with his mail. He was told the person who did had already been spoken to and that it never should have happened. "I asked him what he was going to do about this," Holman wrote, "and all he could say was, 'Really, what can I do?"
Holman says he requested a grievance form, filled it out, but has never heard from anyone since, so he decided to sue.
Not surprisingly, Holman say, he wants money

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First may I say that I am Sorry for the loss the Steverson's family and what they have had to go through. But, if we do as you say, "screw his civil rights" What does that make us? Does Saddam ring any bell's? There has to be a day in court. I do not like what Mr. Holman did, and when the court issues the ruling may the judgment be swift. But until then may we remain civil. We are a country of laws, both for the innocent and the accused.