Monday, May 23, 2011

Ninety confirmed dead in Joplin tornado- worst in the U. S. since 1953

ABC News reports that Sunday's tornado has now claimed at least 90 victims, the largest number of fatalities from such a storm since one in Worcester, Mass. in 1953.

The tornado blasted a six mile wide path through the city and left trapped survivors crying out for help this morning.


"You see pictures of World War II, the devastation and all that with the bombing. That's really what it looked like," Kerry Sachetta, the principal of Joplin High School, which was mangled by the tornado. "I couldn't even make out the side of the building. It was total devastation in my view. I just couldn't believe what I saw."

2 comments:

Bk in MO said...

Are you sure about those stats? The April, 2011 tornadoes in Alabama killed far more. Are you speaking of the most in one town? I'm curious where you got the info. Thanks.

Randy said...

I was going with what ABC said in its story. The link is in my post.