Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Nancy Hughes: Everywhere you walk


“Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.”

I John 2:6 (NIV)


As we walked into the gym, I whispered to my husband “There’s Brian,” and pointed to the tall dark haired young man on the basketball court. “He is terrific,” 

I continued as we sat down to watch the game. “His Christian faith is very important to him and he is such a great role model to talk to younger kids about making good choices. He lives what he believes and everybody knows it.” 

My husband responded “That’s a big responsibility for a boy in high school.”








Not five seconds later Brian and an opponent began jockeying for position during a play but the intensity quickly escalated to bumping and shoving – hard – and then a whistle from the referee and a double foul call. 

My husband glanced at me with eyebrows raised but before I could say one word, Brian reached over, patted his opponent on the rear and said “Sorry about that.”

He could have huffed and puffed and stomped around but he didn’t. He could have scowled at the referee as many ball players do when they don’t agree with a call. But to Brian, it was not a question of whether or not he had fouled; it was a matter of respecting the referee who made the call because to him, it was vital that he be a Christian example no matter where he was or what he was doing.

I cannot help but think of him when I read I John 2:6. Not only did Brian claim Jesus as his Lord but he desired to walk with Him every day in every part of his life. Not just when he “walked” into church on Sunday or into the school on Tuesday or when he “walked” to Wednesday night youth group but every single day and – yes – even during basketball games.

I have always said that more than anything I want Jesus in control of my life and for others to know Him because I am trying to live as He did. But in all honesty, I don’t always “walk the walk” everywhere I go. I’ve been to movies where I would be embarrassed if the Lord was sitting next to me. And I have had conversations that Jesus would not want to be a part of because they did not resemble the attitude Christians should have at all.

If I am going to claim Him as my Lord, it has to be a full-time, 100% relationship. He has to be welcome everywhere I go as I look to Him as my example. Period. I thank the Lord for Brian’s willingness to walk as Jesus did no matter where he was. Even in a basketball game.

Father, I long to walk as you did so that others see you through me. May you be a part of my life every day. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .


Reflect

· Do you have any places that you do not “take” Jesus with you during the day or week?

· If so, why are you not including Him in every minute of your day?

Apply

· Journal your schedule for a week and see if there are times that you do not “walk as Jesus did.”

· Write today’s Power Scriptures on note cards, put them in your purse and pull them out wherever needed to remind you to follow the example of Jesus.

Power


· I John 2:6 (NIV) “Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.”

· I Corinthians 11:1 (NIV) “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.”

· Matthew 5:16 (NIV) “In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.) 

No comments: