Tuesday, May 04, 2021

Paul Richardson: A big pile of cloth


Following significant research, mostly performed by my research assistant who happens to be my eccentric daughter, my view of a certain portion of history has been altered.

Let me step back just a little bit and give you some details that will set the stage for the reason that I even requested the research. 

As a member of the Exchange Club in Neosho, I had volunteered for the task of repairing the flags that are flown at the corner of Missouri Route 60 and Business I-49. 








These flags require a considerable amount of attention as they can become easily damaged when the wind speeds climb into the 30-mph range. 

As the flags are damaged by the wind, I take them out to my shop and restore them to new condition. The largest of these flags’ measures 30’x60’. That computes to 1800 square feet which exceeds a significant number of the living space in residential homes in the region. 

Finding an area where this flag could be spread out flat is limited. However, in order to repair the flags, I don’t need to have access to the entire flag, only the damaged area.

The other fact about 1800 square feet of cloth, even the very thin, lightweight cloth that the flag is composed of, creates a huge pile of material. 

As I was working on the repairs over the past two days, I begin to think, Betsy Ross had nothing on me. The pictures that I had seen of her working on the first Stars and Stripes, depicted her in a rocking chair, serenely embroidering on the flag that had been commissioned. 

The research from my eccentric daughter unfortunately deflated by ego along with any aspirations I had of someone completing a painting me working on the flags with technology that is just above the needle and thread depicted in the painting of Betsy. I actually use treadle sewing machines with the belt removed so that I hand crank the machine.

Anyway, let’s get back to the results of the research. It turns out that the first flag commissioned and constructed by Betsy Ross was 30’x48’ in dimension, which translates to 1440 square feet, with the hoist dimension being the same as the largest flag flown at the corner of Missouri Highway 60 and Business I-49. 

The painting had given me a false impression as to the actual size of flag that she was working on. It is also apparent that the setting for the production of this flag was probably a little different than the artistic liberties taken by the artist.

Since most of the repair that I am required to perform occurs along the vertical edge opposite the hoist, I am required to make some 30’ long seams along the hem of that edge. Sometimes it requires the removal of a portion of that side of the flag if the damage is so great and rips along the seams extending inward. But no matter the type of repair, those flags make a big pile of cloth lying next to my sewing machine!

No comments: