Monday, March 06, 2006

Wilson: Columbia representative ripped community colleges


My education degree from Missouri Southern receives more mention, but I also earned an associate's degree from Crowder College in Neosho 30 years ago and I have nothing but positive things to say about the education I received there.
That's why I was incensed to read the latest column written by Rep. Kevin Wilson, R-Neosho (a representative who actually writes his own columns). This paragraph was what drew my wrath:

"It was ironic that the day they (representatives from Missouri community colleges) were there one of our representatives from Columbia really put her foot in her mouth. In debate on the Ticket to Work program which I have talked about before, this representative said that it would be hard to raise a family of 5 on $70,000 a year and that she might have to send her kids to community college. I could not believe what I heard but because she made these statements at the conclusion of debate on the bill I could not confront her on the House floor. However, I quickly sent her a letter telling her that the vast majority of my constituents got by on much less than that amount every year and that I was proud to have a community college like Crowder in my district."

Rep. Wilson was kind enough not to mention this woman by name, but the only woman representative listed from Columbia is Judy Baker, a first-term Democrat. I would agree with Wilson. This woman needs to get a clue about what real families have to go through in order to send their children to college and she needs to learn a little bit about the value of community colleges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, that, and the fact that most families of five in this area would be damn glad to "struggle" on "only" $70,000 a year. Where can we send donations to buy this woman a clue?