Friday, October 03, 2008

Doug Davis named to MSSU Board of Governors

Gov. Matt Blunt has appointed my former boss, Lamar Democrat Publisher Doug Davis, to the Missouri Southern State University Board of Governors:

“This is the greatest honor in my whole life,” Davis said. “I’m honored. I believe in service to the community and giving back, so I want to do the best that I can for the community and the students.”

Davis served as a member of the MSSU Foundation Board for 18 years. He estimates that it was that service that got him tabbed to succeed board member Jane Wyman, of Joplin, whose term recently expired.

“This came out of nowhere,” Davis said. “I supposed they liked what I did for the foundation, but I have no idea who nominated me.”

Davis said he would like to work for greater rapport with the community and work to provide more of a college-town atmosphere.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great news! Hopefully Davis can steer clear of the good-ol-boy network that Dwight Douglas has developed during his four years as board president. We need some fresh air in the board room. Doug is a hardworking guy who speaks his mind.

Anonymous said...

I second what Barton County resident says. Someone needs to break the stronghold that Douglas has on the board. There are rumblings that some board members are tired of being under Douglas's thumb and telling Speck everything to do. Poor Speck doesn't have a chance.

Anonymous said...

Doug, send some of that public work back to Lamar. Seems he can't even clean up his own properties. He owns some of the worst looking property in town and doesn't do anything to fix it. Guess he wants to just rub shoulders with the big boys and heck with Lamar.
Thanks Doug.....

Anonymous said...

Well said anonymous. Davis needs to work on some things here in Lmaar starting with the rundown property he owns by the park, formerly the Thorco admin office. Good luck with that though.