Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The last assignment

The teacher who talks and never listens is not a teacher at all.

I knew that before I ever stepped into a classroom. When you spend the first 22 years of your life as a reporter, someone to whom listening and relating to others is vital, you know that you learn from others and it doesn't matter whether they are 7 or 70.

My classrooms have always been discussion-based and the voice of the students is respected and valued.

I value it so much that my final assignment each year, the one that my students would be doing tomorrow (Thursday, May 16) is to write an assessment of my class and make recommendations for changes that I should make for next year's classes.

My students won't be doing that assignment or any other assignment of my creation tomorrow or the remaining few days of the year. As readers of this blog know, I have not been in a classroom since Monday, April 8, five weeks and two days ago, as I await a hearing on charges of immoral conduct and violating school board policies.

Tonight, I looked through one of the boxes in my bedroom and found the papers last year's students wrote about my class. It gave me a chance to remember some wonderful young people who have gone on to success at Joplin High School.

"I love all of the papers we have done. We wrote a lot, but it made me a much better writer.'

"Writers' workshop is something you need to keep because it helped me with my writing and I also got my anger out about things that happened outside of school."

"You taught me a lot and I actually like writing now. I may not be good at it, but I still try."

"This has been a very exciting class. I've always loved writing ever since I was a kid. I did it for fun. And in this class, we've gotten to write almost every day, about things that really matter and that we really care about."

"During the third quarter, Mr. Turner assigned a research project over any civil rights topic. It had to be 1,000 words, plus an oral presentation and multi-media presentation. I chose the topic of Emmett Louis Till. I enjoyed doing the project because it was intriguing reading about it."

"The Dirty Dancing (a school that put a stop to raunchy moves at dances) was one of my favorite assignments. I got to share my strong opinion about it. I knew exactly what I was writing and Mr. Turner loved it. I got to put it on the Wall of Fame and that was the first time that I ever made it. It made me feel special."

"Mr. Turner always tells jokes that I never really understood."

"I figured out how to use punctuation better and I became a better writer."

"You are always laughing and it's hard not to be happy when you walk through the door. Even doing the research paper was fun. I can honestly say I will miss Mr. Turner's class the most of all of my classes."

"I have never heard of the Wall of Fame before this year and it is the best idea. In my resume, I put 'six Wall of Fame papers.' I am sure I will get a few questions about that in my first interview and I am prepared for that interview."

"My favorite part of the class was the third quarter research project. Even though it was stressful and har, it prepared us for high school."

"Because of all our writing assignments, I have no problem writing any more."

"I'm going to miss your cheesy jokes, bad music, and the way you let me wander the halls looking for writing ideas. I can't describe how that has helped me. I'll miss you next year and don't you forget me."

"I only wish I could have a class like this in high school."

"Mr. Turner, you were an excellent teacher and role model to me. I hope that one day I can grow in my personality and writing as you have. You have taught me so much. I don't think anyone else will teach me as much, or help me improve as much, in my writing. Thank you so very much. You have made me realize my love for writing. I hope you have a great year next year."

That final comment was included in the last paper in the folder and the final sentence saddened me, something which the writer clearly did not intend.

I did have a great year. I am sorry I was not given the opportunity to finish it, but hopefully everything that I am going through is going to be a part of a change for the better, both for me and for the Joplin School District.

I will miss being able to read the comments and suggestions of this year's eighth graders- a wonderful group of students who turned in some incredible work. Two years ago was the first time I was not able to give that assignment. I would have loved reading what the students of the 2010-2011 school year thought about my class. I would have used their criticism and suggestions to improve my class for 2011-2012.

I missed the experience two years ago, but this year seems even worse. This time the disaster is man made, but once again it is the students who end up suffering.

1 comment:

Mo Rage said...

That was quite an entry. How could any of them not make one at least thoughtful and even a bit melancholy, if not more, and then downright sad, yes.

Sorry for all this.

Even without the problems this year, things like these comments from the students must be both very fulfilling and wonderful but still sad, too. Rough.

I hope it turns out well for you, naturally, and as soon as possible.

Mo Rage
the blog