Thursday, October 24, 2013

Critic of superintendent: I never said he had an affair with a teacher

A critic of Greenville Superintendent Todd Porter (pictured) said he was surprised when he received a cease-and-desist letter from a law firm accusing him of making defamatory remarks about Porter.

On his Facebook page, Brian Becker posted the contents of the letter"

[Brian Becker] has made false statements regarding Mr. Porter’s ethics in his hiring practices with regard to a specific employee. Also, you have told others in the community that Mr. Porter has engaged in an affair with a District teacher. …If you do not cease, the District and Mr. Porter reserve the right to take all necessary legal actions…

Becker's response: 
 
I have not made any statements regarding Todd Porter’s infidelity. Though I am aware of rumors concerning Todd Porter’s affairs, I am not the source, originator or perpetuator of those rumors.

I am already on record with the school board alleging my belief that Mr. Porter’s recent hiring actions were unethical but do not believe my words can be construed as slander.

Therefore, I cannot cease nor desist that which I have not done.
---

I also asked the school’s lawyer how much she charged the school to write this letter, she billed the school $230 for this. Nice to know the School District has money to spend on stuff like this.

The siory was addressed today in the Cape Girardeau Southeast Missourian:

"I certainly wish that somebody from the school would have called and said, 'Hey, are you saying these things about our superintendent?' and I would have said, 'Absolutely not,'" Becker said. "Why that phone call was never made, I don't know.
"It is certainly a lie I spoke those things or that I spoke them with malice," Becker said. "I haven't said anything with malice or with a reckless disregard for veracity. We disagree with how things were handled this summer, and I thought it was over and then I got this letter."
Becker also said he was under the impression school board members knew Porter planned to speak to a lawyer, but not that a letter would be drafted.
(Betsy, the lawyer who wrote the letter) Helfrich emphasized in a later phone interview the district has no plans to take further action since sending the letter earlier in the month.
"Since then, it's died down, and we're just trying to keep focusing on educating the kids," she said. "We're hoping to move forward. I don't think the school will take any legal action."


No comments: