Sunday, March 29, 2020

Kim Frencken: Heroes in the storm

I work with a great bunch of people. If I didn't already know that, well... they reminded me again last week.

We're all stressed. Trying to put together educational materials that our kids can use at home. Alone. To learn. 

You might think that you could just make a video or send an email with links and all is well in the world. But you couldn't be further from the truth.

Not all kids have internet. I know that is a sentence you are ready to dismiss as a myth. Nope. Truth. There are families that live in rural areas where internet is not available OR they cannot afford it OR they have chosen to not have it. 








Whatever the reason, the fact remains .... not all of our kids have access to the internet. So planning a lesson can become even more difficult. You have to find ways to get a video to them so that you can still teach them. Show them how to do a math problem. Read a book to them. Have some interaction.

If that isn't possible, then it comes down to providing creative, engaging, educational learning resources that can be completed by a child at home. 

 Only one problem with that. How many kids are going to actually complete the assignment? By themselves? Without an adult at home to set some learning time guidelines and enforce them. The numbers just dropped significantly. Not everyone is a motivated learner. 

 Not everyone has an adult in their life that encourages them to learn. Some will even have an adult in the home that thinks this is stupid so why bother.

We're fighting an uphill battle. And we're determined. And we care. Enough to do everything in our power to see that our kids have what it takes to learn. And that brings me to my awesome colleagues. I was awake at 1:50 am. Worried about getting everything together for my kids. I felt disorganized. I didn't like it. 

 At 3 am I was typing out lessons and directions for my kids. By 9 am I was at school putting it together. Organizing and collating. Mom came to help. And at the end of the day, here came a group of my colleagues. Laughing and ready to help. Every paper packed. Every paper clip securing a lesson. Every supply included in the folder was packed by these generous hands. 

 And to them I say thank you. I was able to come home before dark. And more importantly, I was able to put it behind me so that I can focus on my home time and rest.

I hope that you are finding heroes in your life during this storm. I know I've seen a few of them in action.
(For more of Kim Frencken's writing and information about her educational products, check out her blog, Chocolate For the Teacher.)

No comments: