Sunday, March 29, 2020

Nancy Hughes: Faith in the Father

“Be joyful always, pray continually . . .”
I Thessalonians 5:16-17 (NIV)


A man was baptized in my home town a few years ago. That’s wonderful but not something that makes national headlines. It happens all the time.

However there was something that made this baptism different: this was a man I had spent the last 20 years praying for, almost every day.

But I confess that even though I prayed for his salvation, I wasn’t convinced it would happen. Why? Because I saw him and his actions on the outside. I never stopped to consider that God was doing a mighty work on the inside, on this man’s heart. Shame on me.








Year after year after year I watched him and sadly judged him by how I saw his life unfold. Just as I Thessalonians 5:16-17 instructs, I should have been “joyful always” knowing that each day I would “pray continually” for his heart to turn to Jesus.

Instead I was judgmental and prideful during my prayer time. I didn’t speak these comments out loud but my thought life did: “Wow, God. He isn’t going to turn to you, is he?” or “I’m not sure even you can change the heart of concrete that man has, God.” And then there is this one: “So many are praying for him, Lord. Why isn’t he changing?”

I tell you that, to share this: we may not see with our eyes changes going on in the lives of the people we are praying for but God is working on the inside to guide and direct them to His mercy and forgiveness and grace.

We have no idea the battle that is being waged on the inside for anyone’s heart and life nor do we know the plans that God is putting in place as He fights for His children and their salvation.

But He tells us to pray continually for a reason: because He, Jesus, has never once stopped interceding for us before the Father. If He never stops, why should we? I should have been totally trusting God to work in this man’s life and heart but instead I was judging what I could see with my physical and not spiritual eyes.

Can I just open up to you and say that there are loved ones in my family that I have prayed for, off and on, for years and I would hate to think that someone was praying for them with the same attitude that I had as I prayed for this man. Do you agree?

So I have an idea: let’s all resolve to have the attitude of joyfulness as we lift up people all around us who do not have a face-to-face relationship with Jesus. Instead of praying “He probably won’t ever change, Lord” let’s instead pray “I am excited for the day that he turns his heart over to you, Lord.”

Faith in the Father. That’s what it comes down to. Being joyful as we trust Jesus to speak truth to those around us. It’s not our job to judge if someone is changing inside. Our job is to pray continually, joyfully, hopefully. His job is to change hearts.

Father, forgive me for using my physical eyes and not my spiritual eyes when praying for your children. Help me to trust you in all things. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

· Have you ever prayed for someone for months or even years and felt like your prayers were not being answered?

· Were you trusting the Lord and praying joyfully and continuously or did you give up and stop praying?

Apply

· Journal the names of people that you have prayed over for a long time – months or years.

· Beside each one write “I will joyfully and continually pray for you.” Then make sure to continue praying for them.

Power

· I Thessalonians 5:16-17 (NIV) “Be joyful always, pray continually . . .”

· Romans 10:1 (NIV) “Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved.”

· II Peter 3:9 (NIV) “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

No comments: