Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Paul Richardson: A scavenger hunt of sorts

It was shortly after the good wife and I met that I discovered that she did not know how to drive a vehicle with a standard transmission.

Being in a state of extreme infatuation, I didn’t do the smart thing and just let that condition ride, I instead taught her how to drive just such a vehicle. 

I had a ’69 Datsun 1600 Roadster and this was the car that provided the classroom. The lessons were successful, as being infatuated I was a very calm instructor. However, little did I realize the negative impact this would have on my life.

Sometime later we stopped by a local grocery store to pick up some necessary items. I went in to make the purchases and she remained in the car. Yes, it was my car, the one in which she had taken the lessons. 








When I returned to the parking lot, the car was nowhere in sight. 

I began to wander the lot, hoping to find it carefully tucked away in some little hiding spot between two much larger vehicles, as this car was quite small. 

Shortly into my wandering the car came zipping across the lot, top down, her hair blowing in the wind and maniacal laughter exploding for the driver’s seat. 

At this point I was getting a little testy. Not only had she stolen my car, she had forced me to wander around a rather large parking lot, in public, carrying an item that was the catalyst of my greatest phobia.

The main purchase recently made was a large package of toilet paper. Yes, toilet paper which if it had been possible at that time before the internet, I would have purchased anonymously and had delivered in unmarked brown packaging to my home. Unbeknownst to me this would get worse.

While I didn’t go to an angry area, my comments were probably sarcastic and she was a strong-willed, hard-headed, little Irish filly, who promptly drove off in my car, shouting, “See you at the house!”

There I stood, two miles from home, holding a package that might have well had a sign on it that read, “Guess what I am going to do with this!” So, for the next thirty minutes I paced as quickly as possible through town, through traffic, through public areas, carrying my burden. I wasn’t going to abandon it, as it was needed at the house.

I have suppressed my anxiety over toilet paper. The good wife and I keep an ample supply, so the current trends have not impacted our lifestyle at all. The community’s response to the current situation has created a scavenger hunt for many items. We discovered this on our recent shopping trip to re-supply our normal pantry inventory. Discovering people buying everything in quantity. Maybe their plan is to eat more in order to ward off the virus. They may need that toilet paper after all!

Hope this lightened up your day, it will get worse when she drives off in your car!
(Paul Richardson's column, The Horse I Rode In On is published weekly in the Neosho Daily News, Seneca News-Dispatch, Aurora Advertiser and on the Turner Report.)

No comments: