Thursday, September 16, 2021

Former Neosho teacher: I hope my story leads to systemic changes everywhere


The controversy surrounding John Wallis' resignation as a speech and drama teacher at Neosho Junior High School continued today with Wallis stoking the fire in an op-ed column in Wednesday's Kansas City Star.

 Wallis resigned less than a month into his contract to teach in the Neosho R-5 School District for the 2021-2022 school year after district officials ordered him not to talk about his sexual orientation during his classes.

In a column titled "The Missouri school district where I used to teach targeted me simply for being gay," Wallis wrote about his departure from his teaching job.






 

Never did I imagine this would be the way things would end with the Neosho School District. I spent my entire life attending the various schools in the district and graduated from there in 2017. Since my junior year of high school, I had vowed to return and teach in the community that I had grown to love. Sure, we have our strong disagreements on a variety of issues, but I didn’t think a classroom of acceptance for all students would become the issue that would lead to my departure.

Wallis said his treatment by district officials had "left an emotional and mental scar on me," and " I can only hope that my story encourages others to share their experiences and that it leads to systemic changes everywhere."


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bye-Bye, degenerate. Your access to children has been denied, for now.

Anonymous said...

@10:31 I don't understand, is he Republican also?

Anonymous said...

@8:17, Nope Guaranteed he is a Demoncrat

Anonymous said...

I call BS!!! He did not vow to return to Neosho to teach! Quite the contrary...read Mr. Wallis' interview in the December 23, 2020 St. Louis Dispatch. He NEVER planned to return to Neosho. The facts are that Neosho was hard pressed to fill a still open teaching position before school started in August and Mr. Wallis had failed to secure a teaching position before school started; hence he was hired in Neosho. What a bald-faced liar!

Direct excerpt from that interview:
"He struggles to find middle ground with his hometown crowd. The divide has become so deep that he says he does not plan on ever going back for an extended time."
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/stlouis/in-a-country-that-cant-agree-what-happens-next/Content?oid=34698441

Anonymous said...

Get help

Anonymous said...

Something about this post has the right wingers wound up tighter than a girdle on a Baptist's minister's wife at an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast!

Anonymous said...

@12:18 clearly didn't get the joke

Anonymous said...

It warmed my heart to see his 4 supporters on KOAM protesting for him...