Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Nancy Hughes: What's your giant's name?

“David said to the Philistine, ‘You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.”

I Samuel 17:45 (NIV)


As I stood in the store by the life size cardboard cutout of the famous basketball player Shaquille “Shaq” O’Neal, I was totally in awe – and a little unnerved. 


He was 7’1” tall and weighed 325 pounds. I was 5’8” and weighed in at about 115 pounds. I tried to imagine what it would be like to have him as a bodyguard and decided instantly that he would without a doubt intimidate even the strongest and bravest of men.








I could not help but compare Shaq with another man who, believe it or not, was much bigger. His name was Goliath. It is estimated from Scripture that Goliath was over 9’ tall and weighed a minimum of 650 pounds. Mercy. If you compare that with the average height for men during that time period of just a bit over 5 feet tall, you can appreciate how frightened they would be at just the appearance of Goliath.

In I Samuel we read that Goliath, a Philistine, had been intimidating the Israelite army day after day in an attempt to fill them with fear. And it was working. The army listened to his daily taunts as they focused on his size until they were all too frightened to challenge the mighty giant. Fear gripped the hearts and minds of the bravest of the brave in the Israelite army to a man, and Scripture tells us they were terrified.

Except for a boy – a boy named David. A belief and trust in God’s power, a sling and a stone later, the giant came down and the rest is history. David’s focus was not on the giant or his taunts; instead he was focused on the One he knew had power over fear, doubt and a situation that appeared hopeless to an entire army.

So let me ask you something: what is your giant? What fear keeps you awake at night? What scares you until you can hardly breathe and steals peace from your heart day after day? Is it wars being fought all over the world or the threat of a devastating disease or illness? Could it be that a close friend or family member does not know the Lord and doesn’t seem to care or maybe it’s the fear that someone you love no longer loves you? Or have you lost someone special to you and you fear being alone?

Whatever you are facing, I encourage you to switch your focus from Goliath to God. Bring your fear before the God of the Universe. There is no giant He cannot conquer when you trust Him to defeat every fear and doubt and bring your giant to its knees.

Father, thank you for battling my giants as I switch my focus to you and your power. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

Have you ever felt like situations in your life were so big that even God could not handle them?

Were you focusing on the giants or on God?

Apply

Write down the giants in your life right now that you are struggling with on separate pieces of paper.

Then, one at a time, wad up each paper and throw it away, switching your focus from the giant to God. Thank Him for what He is going to do to handle that giant for you.

Power

I Samuel 17:45 (NIV) “David said to the Philistine, ‘You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.”

I John 4:4 (NIV) “You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.”

Isaiah 41:13 (NIV) “For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)
 

No comments: