Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Nancy Hughes: Fix it, God!

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

James 1:2-4 (NIV)


Teaching my four-year old grandson to tie his shoes was quite a challenge. He struggled for several minutes but eventually was able to get “one rabbit in the hole” before his attention turned to “Max and Ruby” on television and the lesson ended. But it brought back memories of another shoe tying experience as school nurse many years ago.

I was in my office when a mom of one of our first graders came in, obviously frustrated. She looked at me and demanded “Nurse Nancy, I have a problem and YOU need to fix it now.” Notice that she was the one with the problem but I was the one she had decided needed to fix it. 








So I said “Well, Mrs. Smith, what’s the problem?” And she said “It’s my daughter Megan. She refuses to learn to tie her shoes.”

When I asked what she had done to help her daughter so far, she replied “Well, I show her how to do it but she screams and refuses to even try. She throws her shoes at me and crosses her arms and yells at me to get out.” I couldn’t resist asking: “And what do you do then?” She seemed surprised at my question. “I get out, of course!” she replied.

To me the problem could be fixed within about 10 minutes, I told her. She was very excited and said “How? Tell me how!” (Can I mention that it was the middle of January and we were having some pretty nasty weather?) I continued “I would put Megan’s shoes on the front porch and put Megan on the front porch. Then I would tell her she can come in when she ties her shoes as I shut and locked the door.”

Honestly, does that not make sense to you? Made sense to me. But Mrs. Smith obviously didn’t think so because she began yelling “I can’t believe you would ever suggest anything like that! YOU don’t have a heart!” I thought to myself: “And YOU don’t have a brain.” (Yes, it was a thought for which I later repented.)

How many times am I faced with a tough situation and immediately pray “Fix it, God!” without seeking His will from His Word? And then, when I finally do seek His will and He answers me, I don’t like what He speaks to my heart. Maybe He whispers “You can do it, Nancy” or “Wait, Nancy” or “Keep on doing what you are doing and be patient, Nancy” but that’s not what I want to hear. Too often, I know what God wants me to do . . . I just don’t want to do it.

Instead, I want HIM to instantly get rid of the trial by either removing or solving the situation or changing the person that I have a conflict with or . . . you get the picture?

We must learn to seek His face first, in any and all situations. And when we do that, we have to be willing to listen to His answer . . . and to obey. Oh the lessons I have learned when trials have come and I have focused on the Lord and listened to His voice.

Resist the urge to cry “Fix it!” to God and instead trust Him to guide in His Word through whatever situation you may be facing . . . including shoes that refuse to be tied!

Father, so many times I ask you to fix a situation or problem in my life instead of seeking your will or direction. Please guide and direct me through each trial so that I may grow and mature as a follower of Christ. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

What is your immediate reaction when faced with a trial?

Do you want it “fixed” instantly or do you ask God to show you His will?

Apply

When a trial confronts you, meet it head on with a short prayer of “Your will, your way, Father.”

Journal a list of all the previous trials you have had and how God answered your prayers each time. Then praise Him for His faithfulness.

Power

James 1:2-4 (NIV) “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Psalm 55:22 (NIV) “Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.”

Proverbs 3:5-8 (NIV) “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.”
(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.) 

No comments: