Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Nancy Hughes: The fragrance called "some day"

“But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of him.”

II Corinthians 2:14 (NIV)


The perfume had a fragrance unlike any other. One spray and I was immediately in a luxurious world of perfect hair and skin, toned thighs and straight, super-white teeth. The only catch was the cost: it was extremely expensive. 


As I debated about whether or not to buy a bottle – a small bottle – I began to justify the expense in my mind. I wouldn’t use it every day but would save it for special occasions.








And then when I DID use it, I would limit myself to one quick spray only. That way, I thought, it would last longer. I bought a small bottle and put it on the top shelf in the bathroom. I periodically took it down to admire the beautiful bottle but I didn’t use it.

My husband kept asking “When are you going to use that expensive perfume that you just had to have?” and I would reply “Some day, for a special occasion.” What a big mistake that was!

Three months after my pricey purchase, I saw the bottle on the top shelf and decided the time had come to use the perfume. I carefully pulled out the gorgeous bottle. Off came the lid and I excitedly sprayed my neck with the amazing fragrance. But instead of a beautiful scent I immediately began coughing.

The fragrance was rancid and smelled like the bottle had been filled with vinegar, toilet bowl cleaner and motor oil and shaken up. I quickly grabbed a towel and started wiping off my neck. My plan to keep the perfume for a special occasion had kept me from using it altogether and it had become stale and quite frankly, disgusting!

That is exactly what happens to the fragrance Christ wants me to be by sharing His love and mercy but I decide to wait for the perfect opportunity . . . someday. There are needs all around me; people are hurting every minute of every day. And yet, forgive me, but I have said to myself “Some day, I’ll write that note or visit that widow or call the lady who has been gone from church for weeks.”

And I justify my decision by thinking “Someday, when I have more time or when I’m less busy or when the kids are older or when I am retired, THEN I will have time to be the hands and feet of Jesus.” And what happens? The “someday” never comes . . . and the fragrance of compassion becomes the stench of procrastination.

Please, hear this cry from my heart: if you put off sharing the fragrance of Jesus with someone who is hurting until the perfect day, the opportunity to share with that person may never come again. Don’t put off sharing the fragrance of Christ for someday. Do it today!

Father, I want to be the fragrance of you and not put off being your reflection to the hurting because I am waiting for the right moment. That moment is now. And I am ready to serve you. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

Have you ever opened an old bottle of perfume and noticed the stale odor?

How do you think the Lord feels when we choose to be a stale odor instead of a beautiful fragrance of Jesus to people around us?

Apply

Place a bottle of perfume in the sock drawer of your dresser along with a note card with II Corinthians 2:14 on it.

Every time you open the drawer, ask the Lord to show you how you can be a fragrant example of Christ to someone around you who is hurting.

Power

II Corinthians 2:14 (NIV) “But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of him.”

II Corinthians 2:15 (NIV) “For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.”

Matthew 25:40 (NIV) “…I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”
(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.) 

No comments: