Sunday, October 13, 2013

What the Joplin R-8 Administration is not telling you- Part One

C. J. Huff was frustrated.

The Joplin R-8 superintendent was not getting what he wanted and it was such a simple request. He was days away from the deadline to submit the school district's proposal for 2012 Race to the Top funding from the federal government and he could not get the head of the Joplin NEA chapter to sign off on the request.

At stake was more than $10 million in possible funding for the school district. Huff dashed off an angry e-mail to the local NEA chapter president:

 I'd like an explanation as to why you are refusing to sign off on our application for much needed Race to the Top funding to support the work with our kids in a time of limited resources. Is this your position, a JNEA position, or is this a NEA position that is being taken state/nation-wide. Without your signature we cannot apply. CJ

The JNEA president sent Huff this response:

I was not even given an opportunity to read the aforementioned document. The one page of the application that I was allowed to see states that:

        *To the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information and data in this application are true and correct.
        *I further certify that I have read the application, am fully committed to it, and will support its implementation.
        *I am aware that any false, fictitious, or fraudulent statements or claims may subject me to criminal, civil, or administrative penalties.

I have not been included in any of the planning, even though it is my understanding that this grant application has been in the district since August, and I have not been given a full copy of the application or budget to review. I have not said I would not sign it. What I have said is that I am not comfortable signing something I have not read and could be held liable for. I'm sorry for the confusion.

The Joplin NEA chapter never signed off on the Race to the Top application, nor did any other representatives of the local faculty.

The JNEA president sent the following message to chapter members:

I have been asked to sign Joplin Schools RTTT Grant. I was only given one page of the grant, the one I was asked to sign, and asked to return it today. The full grant application should be around 130 pages and include a budget. I cannot in good faith sign something I have not read and that I know includes things we do not agree with. 

When R-8 Administration sent no further information, the JNEA president sent the following e-mail to C. J. Huff:

In response to the request that I sign the Race To The Top Application Assurances as President of the Joplin NEA, I am respectfully declining.  The application states that my signature verifies that to my best information and belief all statements in the application are true and correct, that I have read the application, that I am fully committed to it and that I will support its implementation.  I cannot sign because I have not been given the opportunity to read the complete application and therefore have no idea whether the statements are true and correct. Even if I did receive the complete application, my lack of involvement in the development of the proposal prevents me from attesting to the accuracy of statements in the application. Further, I cannot state that I am fully committed to it and will support its implementation when I have not been given the opportunity to engage my members and include their input into the proposal.  I am sure you will understand why I cannot subject myself to the civil, criminal and/or administrative penalties that could occur by my making a false, fraudulent or fictitious statement or claim, as detailed in the application assurance.

The district's Race to the Top application was eventually rejected by the U. S. Department of Education and much of what is included in that application can be found in its critique on the department's website.

Much criticism was based on the district's lack of openness with the public and the lack of support shown by faculty for the initiatives outlined in the grant request.

In the August 18 Turner Report, I noted a part of the grant application that would have drawn questions from teachers and from patrons had it been revealed before the application was submitted:

Less than six months after Joplin R-8 patrons, by a 45-vote margin, passed a $62 million bond issue to rebuild Joplin High School, Franklin Tech, East Middle School, and two elementary schools, the largest bond issue in the district’s history, administrators were already back at the drawing board working on plans to ask voters for a tax levy increase.
The increase, according to the district’s federal Race to the Top application submitted to the U. S. Department of Education, would have been used to pay “academic advisers,” teachers who would work an additional hour at the end of each school day.
Initially, the advisers would have been paid as part of the Race to the Top grant, according to the application, which was submitted in October 2012, but was rejected by the Department of Education.
The district proposal, included a budget of $9.988,737, which would have paid for the following:
-Project manager $313,080 (for four-year period)
-Seven 21st Century learning coaches $2.2 million
-Five Career Pathway counselors to manage development and implementation of new pathway $1.6 million
-Stipends for academic advisers, one hour a day for 170 days for 200 teachers, $312,000
Data manager- $312,000
Data management system- $425,000
I-Pads for middle school students $1 million
Additional tech support personnel $414,000
The items that would have been paid for through the grant, had it been successful, would have bolstered administration’s current path, including the career pathways and 1 to 1 technology for students.
Interestingly, though the extra pay for teachers would have only continued via a tax levy increase under the plan submitted by R-8 administrators, the rest of the programs would have continued with the costs being absorbed by the district, according to the grant proposal.
The district's application was rejected, but somehow R-8 Administration has been able to fund much of what it was asking the federal government to pay. Eighth graders have IPads, the 21st Century learning coaches were added, the academic advisers (the ones that a tax levy would have been needed to fund on a permanent basis) are being added, the pathway counselors are on board, and much of the rest of the plan has been put into effect.
Where did the money come from?
The deadline for submitting an application for the 2013 Race to the Top was October 3. I do not know if a plan was submitted, but district officials were working on one. A parent, Melissa Braun, wanted to know what was included in that application and filed a Freedom of Information request for the document. Since it was not ready at that point. C. J. Huff sent Mrs. Braun the following response (in the accompanying letter), saying it would cost her at least $150.
Why the information would cost $150 when an application would be complete and not require any extra time for clerical help to put together, he did not explain.
He also did not offer her the option of having the document delivered to her electronically and considering the emphasis that district officials have placed on 21st Century learning, it seems hard to believe that these public documents would not be available in an electronic format.
The government critique indicated that community support was important in the Race to the Top selection process, so why was the application never discussed at the televised board of education meetings where the application would have been submitted to more district patrons. Or better yet, put it on the district website where everyone can take a look at the district's vision for the future.
In upcoming reports, I will examine the 2012 Race to the Top application to try to reach a better understanding of why the R-8 administration has kept these applications under wraps.



54 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much for those claims that you just make this stuff up, huh Mr. Turner?

Ready to apologize yet, School Board? You should be...

Anonymous said...

Who would sign something like that without reading it carefully first? It's not like these people can be taken at their word. And for that matter, only a shyster would ask someone to sign such a document without allowing them to read it first. There's plenty to hide, for sure.

Anonymous said...

Once again, what funds are they using now? It seems like if they had some honest means of funding, they would have provided a very clear accounting. Instead, all they've offered is talking points to try and keep everyone in line and cover up the truth.

We're talking millions and millions of dollars to be accountable for. I'd want to make sure everyone knew what I was doing, if I was them. Instead they dig deeper and deeper.

Anonymous said...

October 10 has come and gone. Did she get her info? I'm sure there's some likely excuse why she didn't, if not. The dog ate it. It got lost in the mail. Or cyberspace. My computer crashed. I'm sure it will be totally believable. You betcha.

Anonymous said...

If the president of the NEA didn't sign the RTTT application, and it couldn't be sent without that signature (CJ Huff's words), then who did sign it?

Who signed this year's?

Was the NEA a part of this year's writing?

These questions must be answered.

Anonymous said...

"This time of limited resources." I'm glad to see that CJ Huff has acknowledged that our funds are limited. So what are they using for all of these employees, programs, and initiatives? Inquiring minds want to know, and we demand an answer.

Anonymous said...

A blatant violation of the Sunshine Law brought to you by the Schemers and Dreamers at Joplin R8, and fully supported by their governing body. How much longer are they all going to get away with this?

Anonymous said...

I hope my fellow parents and patrons will join me in being very skeptical about any more new ideas and plans proposed by these people. They don't have the best interest of our children in mind. This is about promoting themselves. I will never trust them about anything.

Anonymous said...

This all could have been avoided if they had just worked within their means instead of trying to do more than they can afford. The rest of us have to. The taxpayers have taken a big hit here just to get a giant mess.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could say unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

After reading the proposal, no wonder R8 didn't get the grant...poorly written, data lacking, just full of educational jabbering..I wrote better grant requests than that blown up request & got every grant I requested because I followed the guidelines, provided the info requested, had several groups read through it & asked for improvements from parents, teachers, administration, school board members, etc...nothing was ever hidden, if I asked for something I had facts & data to back it up

Anonymous said...

12:47--
Would you please apply to be the super in Joplin?
Facts, data, research, support, transparency, following the rules and laws...Just what we need in R8!

Anonymous said...

I don't see very bright futures for these people...

Anonymous said...

Ms. Braun is my hero!

That Turner guy ain't none too bad, neither. Thanks for getting the truth out, Turner. Many of us in the public appreciate it more than you can imagine, because the local media sure won't ever get the job done.

Anonymous said...

Great post and looking forward to the follow-ups. Reading the proposal critique confirms the patterns: big on blow-hard "vision" with serious holes in the data and issues of transparency (ironic considering the lip-service paid to "evidence-based education"). The letter to NEA confirms that Huff has a bully side as many have alluded to. This was an important one.

Where are the trolls from the Globe staff, the friends of Besendorfer, Amanda Lea, and the friendless folks who imagine themselves writers because the Globe publishes their glorified letters-to-the-editor? I'm sure they will move the goalposts and find some other way to make Turner wrong, but it is what it is. Time will reveal, like Debarge say.

Anonymous said...

I would love to...I am almost 70 years old & I brook no nonsense or coach purses...I am retired so can only make so much money, but believe me grants will be written in English with all data in place, all groups reading & having an input, all wrong ended ideas corrected or irradicated, all phony balony nipped, reasons for the need, all possibilities for succes or failure outlined, all fluff eliminated, I am tough when asking for money...I always put myself in their place: I have money to give you, now tell me why do you want it, what happens if you get it, what happens if you don't get , will you try again & show me how you can correct the first request, & don't try to scam me.....I got over $70,000 in grants in Missouri, not a lot except it was for a very small rural school, later $6.000,000 in one year in Indiana at ISU...was even asked to share my successes with R8 in the early 90's...I have MS degrees, but so what...never wanted a PHD, just wanted kids to have opportunities I never had

Anonymous said...

We do need to know who signed those applications! Let's see those signatures, Huff!

Anonymous said...

I would be fired my first week..+ I am not a PHD...I want facts that I understand & reasons ... Just tell what it is you want & why and don't bring me brownies, I am here for you ..you are not here for me

Anonymous said...

i wish a lawyer would instruct us on how many laws have been violated here and as revealed in other posts. It's hard to keep track of it all. It makes me curious wondering if all school districts are this bad. I hope not, because I'm ready to find another one for my family. This is truly deplorable and a disgrace to the community.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should run for the board. It will be a heck of a deal to clean this mess up.

Anonymous said...

I read the RTTT review. I see the district received ZERO points in financing because of a lack of transparency. They didn't fair well in the academics area either. No proof of long term success. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

http://ago.mo.gov/sunshinelaw/faqs.htm

Anonymous said...

CJ CJ bo BJ banana fana fo CJ me mi mo MEJ BYE-BYE CJ!

Concerned said...

Why can't someone stop him and Bessie? Don't be fooled, Joplin. She's just as despicable. Let's clean house and claim back our schools for our kids, not for getting our names in the spotlight!!!

Anonymous said...

Total disregard of the Sunshine Law. Complete disregard of the law of the State of Missouri. I hope the repercussions are swift and public. He has no fear because he's gotten away with everything locally, but this is a state law. We can only hope that for once, justice will be done.

Anonymous said...

Total disgrace to Joplin. It is embarrassing. Does he even care how many great kids have left the Joplin school system because of this terrible leadership? I really doubt that he cares about anything except his own pay check.

Anonymous said...

I find it amusing that you would criticize anyone charging for copies of paperwork. He probably learned that from you.

Anonymous said...

7:13--
That whole building is despicable. I wouldn't keep a one of them, given the choice. You have to be corrupt to work there.

Anonymous said...

7:33--
The legal charge is 10 cents a page. This is over a dollar a page. Your comment adds nothing to the conversation.

Anonymous said...

Didn't you make the transcript of the hearing regarding your termination into a "book"?

Anonymous said...

You can always tell when Turner has nailed his target. His enemies can't argue with facts, so they start attacking him.

Anonymous said...

It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

Anonymous said...

Anonymous at 11:21 AM:

It would appear that the NEA never signed off on the application, and that's evident in the critique turning down the application. For example:

Page 15: There are no letters of support from teachers. Unfortunately there is no evidence that at least 70 percent of teachers from participating schools support the proposal. It is implied that there is support, but no statement is included to verify that. Because of this, four points are being deducted resulting in a score of 6.

Too long to quote, but (B)(4) on page 28, "Stakeholder engagement and support", scores low, 2 out of 10 points.

Start reading on that page for some really big hits to the application....

For some reason, the required "(E)(2) Ongoing communication and engagement" section was entirely missing and got 0 points. 15 points total in that area, plus another 10 a bit later in "(F)(2) Sustainability of project goals", were lost due to not submitting anything.

Related:

Pages 21-2: Timely and regular feedback on progress toward project goals and opportunities for ongoing corrections and improvements during and after the term of the grant. The strategy includes creating measures that will help with this process. The narrative Technical Review Form discusses how it will share the data with its committees and participants but does not address how it will supply this information to people and stakeholders not on the committees. Five points are being deducted for that weakness in the narrative, giving a total score of 10.

Ditto another 3 points lost in the following item.

Side note: it would appear the application was rather sloppy. One important section is missing apparently due to an editing error, an Appendix B with important information on performance measures is referenced but missing, and points were lost to these errors.

So, like so much of what Randy has been bringing to our attention (for example, 1/3 of the teachers have quit), this critique cites very specific problems, which suggests they're real.

Anonymous said...

In Camdenton they did the EXACT same thing...except the dufus head of the teacher organization was flattered that they asked for his endorsement without even consulting with the teachers. In Camdenton the Teachers Association Committee(TAC) president, which is a committee not even attended by over 95% of the teachers in the district was all our district needed to show majority buy in of teachers when NOT ONE had even seen the implications of the grant and what it meant to them. Yet, it was REQUIRED that teacher buy in be proven. Luckily you had a true collective bargaining rep that acted on behalf of the teachers...and did not sell them out for a feather in his cap.

You dodged a bullet Joplin. Your teachers should be so grateful.

Good work.

Anonymous said...

Judging from the number of teachers who have fled Joplin Schools and the number who are planning to, I'd say teacher support is a wash. Teachers are the best resource any district has. Invest in good teachers. Pay competitively so you can attract and retain the best. Then you won't need so much other nonsense. Joplin has taken the opposite tack for the last six years, and the results have been disastrous.

Anonymous said...

I am glad I home schooled my son when we lived in Joplin.

Anonymous said...

Joplin teachers get hit with bombshells on a regular basis. Bullets wouldn't faze very many of them. But I'm betting that there aren't too many who are willing to take on much more than what's on their plates already. Hence the secrecy. Hit them after they've signed their contracts would be their plan.

Anonymous said...

This district doesn't give a rip about its teachers. If it did it would look after teachers first and spend less on frivolous items. It's a very hostile district.

Anonymous said...

According to DESE info, Joplin teachers work harder than any other teachers in the state in districts of similar size. And they get paid about four grand less than the state average. But administrators are paid at the state average or higher. There's your problem.

Anonymous said...

The admin are both dishonest and inept but they still have jobs. I don't get it.

Anonymous said...

Reserves are supposed to be at 25%. Under the current admin we are now down to 14.7% as stated at the Sept board meeting. Reading further it says reserves are expected to go down to 8-11%. Read it in the board minutes. So from 25% to 8% in reserves. That is not enough to pay salaries for three months as required. So where is the money? And PLEASE do not blame the tornado.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what revelations are coming in part two?

Anonymous said...

Because they have silver tongues that the board wants to hear so they don't have to think, just want thier names on a plaque & photos in the paper...Joplin wake up & stop this nonsense!!!!

Anonymous said...

Joplin admin are the most mean spirited people I ever knew. There is nothing they won't do to get their way. These documents might indicate what they're like, but they are really a lot worse than that.

Anonymous said...

Less admin. More teachers. Or even just less admin and less crap fired at teachers. I bet this would equal less stress and more education. Can't cost any more-- have you seen the admin salaries? Wow. That's public knowledge Joplin. Google it. You might be amazed...

Anonymous said...

Less admin. More teachers. Or even just less admin and less crap fired at teachers. I bet this would equal less stress and more education. Can't cost any more-- have you seen the admin salaries? Wow. That's public knowledge Joplin. Google it. You might be amazed...

Anonymous said...

Huff gets $175,000 to do a splendid job of breaking the law and tearing down the district. Bess gets $132,000+ to make sure the students learn less every year. Huff's buddy Cravens makes $99,000+ to do what? And what about all of those other people who have been hired? And teachers saw no difference in their paychecks last year. Anyone wonder why we left? The bullying and the lack of support was bad, and put this with it and it was just too much to stand anymore. I hope my friends get out this year so I don't have to worry about them any more.

Anonymous said...

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/stl-info/updated---missouri-educators-salaries/html_4e9b0b24-598c-505d-95c5-9a5d5e90f8d3.html

Follow this link. Any public school official salary can be found in Missouri. Search option at bottom

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the Bright Futures conference today and tomorrow will make up the lost resources. They're charging $199 apiece to attend. That should rake in enough cash to make up the difference right there.

Anonymous said...

8:00-
Why are you surprised? No one is holding this admin accountable. Some parents, students, and teachers tried but they keep hitting their heads against the wall because SOMETHING should have been done by now. non-Joplin schools--- if you're needing any good teachers, look no further. I'm already hearing of people looking at leaving. I'm one of them.

Anonymous said...

To second the comment above from anonymous 8:00 and, yes I posted this on the "part 2" section as well because I feel it is applicable there as well.



http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/stl-info/updated---missouri-educators-salaries/html_4e9b0b24-598c-505d-95c5-9a5d5e90f8d3.html

Interesting--- type in Joplin schools in search area of above link- gives you list of Joplin school employees in order of highest paid to lowest. I did this because I'm not good with all the school employees' names, especially those that my child or his friends haven't talked about. My question--- admin fills the first two pages at least. WHY do they get paid so much if teachers are being told to handle the discipline?

Anonymous said...

8:07-- but those are separate funds and can't be mixed into.... Oh wait. I get it.

Anonymous said...

I just re-read these comments after reading the latest blog entry...I am furious with their requests...I COULD clean up this mess, but I want a group of lawyers, parents, teachers, & students and a bodyguard in on this revolution...I am shy & not a PhD, but Truman has always been my hero ...I can think & listen to directives & have experience in educational missteps from way back...remember New Math ...& friends in other states who are brilliant in higher education and/or own companies & ready to take on all this bill gates technology crap...salary requests would be what the teachers get until the mess was cleaned up & reserves built back up then I would be out of there BUT watching ...this has got to stop...we are in trouble folks ...

Anonymous said...

Don't use Wes Barnum. He is a crook. I have evidence to suport my claim.