Saturday, October 11, 2008

Strip club killer asks to be executed

Richard Lee Tabler, on death row for the 2004 murders of four people connected with a Killeen, Texas, strip club has asked to be executed:

On Tuesday, he appeared in front of 264th District Court Judge Martha Trudo and asked that his further appeals be blocked.

He asked the same in a letter to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, politely volunteering for execution.

"Greetings and peace be unto you!" he wrote in the letter, dated Aug. 11. "I've spoken with my appeal attorneys and they've advised me that they don't believe it's their job to notify the courts that I'd like to waive my rights to habeas corpus proceeding and volunteer for execution.

"I wish to drop all my appeals and get an execution date."


Tabler was one of two men convicted of the murders. The death penalty was not on the table for the other man, Timothy Doan Payne of Granby, an East Newton High School graduate.

All previous Turner Report posts on this case can be found at this link.

No comments: