Thursday, April 02, 2020

Please don't make the same mistake I did when you go out in public

I have been attempting to put as many days as possible between my forays outside my apartment, at least the ones where I jump in the car and go somewhere, so this morning, after four days inside the apartment, I headed out to a couple of places I needed to go- the grocery store to get a few items and heaven help me, the post office.

I went to the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market on 7th and just like the last time I went several days ago, there was plenty of room to move around without getting too close to anyone and I was the only one in the checkout after I had my groceries.

After that, I hit the jackpot at the Post Office. Only one person was ahead of me and that person was already at the counter. One other person came in and stood a healthy distance behind me.










It was jarring to see the plastic that had been placed in front of the workers, but at the same time, I was grateful that it was there.

The woman at the counter told me I was lucky. If I had been there either of the previous two days I would have been confronted with long lines.

"I don't think they know we have the coronavirus," she said. Her words were not spoken in anger, but more in wonderment.

I had been prepared to turn around and head back to my apartment if there had been a line at the post office. While I had a deadline to mail the package by, that deadline was April 10, so I would hopefully have had other opportunities, but I was glad to have it behind me and be able to settle back into the apartment for a few days.










After I unloaded my groceries, I was going through the same exercise regimen I have been doing in the nearly four years since my triple bypass when it suddenly occurred to me there was something I had neglected to do while I was out.

When I had a question to ask a worker at Wal-Mart, she graciously took the time to answer the question. 

The young man in the checkout line was polite and the postal worker, enjoying a rare moment when she did not have to deal with a long line of COVID-19 defying customers, continued to do essential work without complaining even though fate has put her on the front lines in a battle she never anticipated.

I treated all of them with respect. That's the way I was brought up. 

Respect only goes so far.

I never said thank you to any of them.

In the past, I would have hopped back into the car and returned to the Neighborhood Market and the post office and let them know how much I appreciated the job they are doing. It's something we should do even in normal times.

In this era of the pandemic, it is vital that we do this.

Please don't make the mistake I did.

If you don't have to go out, please stay home. Don't contribute to the spread of the virus.

When you do have to venture into the community to pick up essential items, spread the thank yous far and wide.

They won't lessen the possibility of exposure, but they will sure provide a wonderful vaccine for the spirit.

***
Thanks for supporting the Turner Report/Inside Joplin with a voluntary subscription or contribution of any size at the PayPal buttons below. Contributions can also be mailed to Randy Turner, 2306 E. 8th, Apt. A, Joplin, MO 64801.

Payment options

No comments: