Tuesday, October 06, 2026

Joplin woman charged with DWI, meth possession, child endangerment

 


The Jasper County Prosecuting Attorney's office charged a Joplin woman with driving while intoxicated, possession of a controlled substance and endangering the welfare of a child following a Highway Patrol traffic stop Sunday.

The arraignment for Chlicia D. Diehn (DOB 1990) is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Wednesday in Jasper County Circuit Court in Joplin.

From the probable cause statement:

On October 4th, 2026, at approximately 1536 hours, Troop D Radio Operators advised of a single vehicle crash on County Road Garrison Avenue, north of Sunflower Lane, in Jasper County, Missouri. I began responding to the area to investigate the motor vehicle crash.

At approximately 1539 hours, I arrived on scene and observed a silver Toyota Camry at final rest in the ditch on the east side of County Road Garrison Avenue. I could also observe dark, heavy skid marks on the roadway left by the Toyota. 








Based on the skid marks, it appeared the driver of the Toyota failed to negotiate a sharp left curve in the
roadway and lost control of the vehicle, causing it to do a 180-degree spin in the roadway before it ran off the roadway and came to an uncontrolled rest in the ditch.

After examining the Toyota, I contacted the driver, later identified as Chlicia D. Diehn, who was standing in a nearby yard holding her infant son. I asked Diehn what happened, and she advised she was traveling northbound on Garrison Avenue when the Toyota began shaking, causing her to lose control of the vehicle and run off the roadway. 

I asked Diehn if there was anybody else inside the Toyota at the time of the crash, and she advised there was not. Diehn advised it was it was just her and her infant son in the Toyota when the crash occurred. I began gathering necessary information from Diehn to complete a uniform crash report.

While speaking with Diehn outside, I began smelling the strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from her breath. I also noticed Diehn's eyes were bloodshot. I asked Diehn if she had consumed any alcohol today, and she advised she had not. I requested Diehn perform field sobriety testing to check her level of sobriety, which she agreed to do. I asked Diehn if she had any previous head or eye injuries or was wearing prescription contact lenses. Diehn advised she did not have any previous head or eye injuries and was not wearing prescription contact lenses.

While administering the horizontal gaze nystagmus test standing, I noticed Diehn's pupils were of equal sizes and her eyes tracked equally. I observed lack of smooth pursuit, distinct and sustained nystagmus at maximum deviation, and the onset of nystagmus prior to forty-five degrees, in both eyes. I also observed vertical gaze nystagmus in both eyes.

I requested Diehn provide a preliminary breath sample, which she agreed to do. Iinstructed Diehn how to properly provide an adequate breath sample, however, when administering the preliminary breath test, Diehn failed to follow my instructions. 








On the third attempt to obtain a preliminary breath sample, I was able to manually capture a partial breath instructions. On the third attempt to obtain a preliminary breath sample, I was able to manually capture a partial breath sample which revealed a positive indication of alcohol, .196%.

Based on my observations of Diehn, her performance on field sobriety testing, the evidence from the vehicle crash, and the totality of the circumstances, I believed she was intoxicated. At approximately 1553 hours, I placed Diehn under arrest for driving while intoxicated and secured her into the front passenger seat of my patrol car. At approximately 1601

arrest for driving while intoxicated and secured her into the front passenger seat of my patrol car. At approximately 1601 hours, I informed Diehn of her Constitutional Rights per the Miranda Warning, when asked if she understood her Rights, she advised she did.








The Toyota was removed from the ditch by a local tow company. A search of the Toyota incident to arrest revealed a small plastic baggie containing a clear crystal-like substance. This plastic baggie was located under a blanket on the driver seat where Diehn had been sitting. I knew from my training and experience this clear plastic baggie contained methamphetamine, a schedule two controlled substance. The plastic baggie containing the methamphetamine was secured into my patrol car as evidence.

At approximately 1623 hours, I read Diehn Missouri's Implied Consent Law and requested she submit to a chemical test of her breath. Diehn agreed to submit to a chemical test of her breath. I began transporting Diehn to the Missouri State Highway Patrol Satellite Office to administer a breath test. The Toyota was towed from the scene by a local tow company and secured into their secure tow lot. The infant male was transported from the scene by a Trooper with the Missouri State Highway Patrol to his Grandparents house in Joplin, Missouri.

Upon our arrival at the Satellite Office, I administered a breath test to Diehn which revealed her blood alcohol content to be .204%. 

No comments: