Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Newton County prosecuting attorney will not seek re-election

Newton County Prosecuting Attorney Scott Watson will not run for another term.

In a letter addressed to the citizens of Newton County, Watson, who has been prosecuting attorney for the past 14 years, explained his reasoning:

To the citizens of Newton County:

Thank you for allowing me to serve fourteen years as your Prosecuting Attorney. It has been an honor and a privilege. Many of you I have served have become enduring friends. You entered my office under stressful circumstances and were always kind to me. I will be forever thankful for you. I hope my staff and I have been good public servants.

While I have been most richly blessed by the opportunity of being your prosecuting attorney, I am today announcing my resignation effective January 11, 2008. I decided some time ago that I would not seek a fifth term of office in 2010. Fresh ideas from new leadership can provide positive changes to any office. Perhaps now is the time for that to occur here.

The Newton County Republican Committee Chairman has been notified of my gratitude for their support and service to the County. They shall send their recommendation to Governor Blunt for an appointed replacement until the next general election.

As for the future, it is a wonderful thing when the opportunity comes to fulfill a lifelong dream. That has arisen for me now, and I look forward to an exciting 2008.

Happy New Year to all,



Scott Watson

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder where he is going in the middle of a term? Very sad, he is a good man.

Anonymous said...

Oh, so good man is synonymous with power abusing corrupt attorney. May have something to do with an upcoming indictment. We can only hope.

Anonymous said...

This is his second time to "quit" in the midst of a term of office. Does that qualify him as a "quitter?"

Why people voted for him after he quit the first time is a mystery to me.

I hope the county gets a good attorney who really wants to be a prosecutor and doesn't avoid hard work.

Anonymous said...

Vice President of Governmental Affairs for St Johns Regional Medical (i.e., their new lobbyist).

Anonymous said...

Folks, doesn't it stand to reason that if Scott Watson was under indictment he would stay in office so the county would pick up the dime for his attorney's fees?
By the way, he left his job for another opportunity. People do that all the time. It's called a free country. And folks elect the people they want to serve. That's called a free country, too.
It seems like there are some sour grapes being fertilized here, probably by people Scott Watson has put away.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Watson has been an outstanding prosecutor! He has willingly taken on the hard cases, worked closely with victims, and developed a great staff!
Thank you, Scott, for holding up the law and standing for right! You are truly a victim's advocate.
Best wishes on your new opportunity!