Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Lamar Boosters honor veteran coach Marti

I was unable to get to Lamar High School Tuesday night to see the Booster Club honor Coach Richard Marti, who has been pacing the sidelines for the Tigers for the past 35 years. I did see the coverage of the event on KSN's 10 p.m. newscast.
I enjoyed covering many of Coach Marti's team for most of the years between 1978 and 1999, and first saw his teams play when I was attending high school at East Newton and saw his great 1973-74 team with Kim Rohlfing, Jack Sportsman, and Jamie Hammons that went all the way to the state quarterfinals.
I covered some of his great 1980s boys teams and the two girls teams he guided to district championships in the 1990s.
It is a well deserved honor for Richard Marti, and fittingly his team defeated Stockton, adding to the more than 500 victories Marti has earned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Turner,

Maybe one day people will honor a left-wing extremist who's obsessed with young girls and female television anchors but I seriously doubt it.

By the way, has Catherine Hanaway written you back yet? I'm sure couldn't wait to respond to such an influential political journalist like yourself.