Friday, December 14, 2007

Tribune: Graham pleads guilty to DWI charge

Sen. Chuck Graham, D-Columbia, pleaded guilty to a DWI charge today in Calloway County Circuit Court, according to the Columbia Tribune:

According to a press release from his office, Graham paid a $500 fine and $122.50 in court costs for the Class B misdemeanor. He made the plea in front of Associate Circuit Judge Carol England.

Graham, D-Columbia, was arrested Oct. 20 at West Green Meadows Road and Bethel Street after his Chevrolet Monte Carlo rear-ended an eastbound vehicle at a stop sign, pushing it into a third vehicle.

“I once again apologize to my friends, supporters, constituents and the other people involved in this incident,” Graham said in a statement. "I made a tremendous error in judgment, and it won’t happen again. I have learned a valuable and life-altering lesson, and I know I will be a better person because of it. I want to thank everyone who has supported me during this difficult time, and I look forward to continue representing the citizens of Boone and Randolph counties.”

According to a police report, Graham denied having consumed alcohol when questioned by police at the scene of the crash. He then said he had a “few drinks” during the previous two hours, and later said he drank two beers, according to the report.

Graham refused six requests to take a breath test and also refused to provide a blood sample at University Hospital, where he was taken after complaining of pain in his arm, according to the report. A police officer seized a container of Graham’s urine at the hospital, according to the report. A blood sample was taken later by court order.

No comments: