Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Thank you, Tom Brokaw!

This hasn't been the most exciting presidential debate I have ever seen and I have seen quite a few of them, starting with the Kennedy-Nixon debate when I was four years old, but a big thank you should go to moderator Tom Brokaw for what the debate did not become.

It was not a forum for McCain's dealings with the Keating Five, nor Obama's connection with Weather Underground terrorist William Ayers.

It was not a debate in which the low road was taken by either candidate, thanks to loaded questions proferred by a moderator more interested in making headlines for himself than for the debate.

I would guess there are many journalists who were ticked off about having few fireworks tonight. I feel no sympathy for them. America deserves better than to listen to rehashes concerning Jeremiah Wright or any of the myriad issues surrounding Sarah Palin. We are at a country involved in two wars, and facing an economic crisis. This debate was about the issues and that was refreshing.

***

The most irritating moments of the debate, however, also came courtesy of Brokaw with his constant nagging about time limits. If the candidates want to engage each other and actually argue the issues, please let them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Randy. Some watching with me said the debate was "boring" but I thought it was appropriate that in these serious times, serious men speak seriously. I was disappointed when both candidates went to talking points rather than answer the direct question asked, but it was far better than the VP debate in substance over style. On reflection, I agree that the candidates should not have been repeatedly nagged about time - it would have sufficed to have the lights visible to the camera and a visible timer that added the overage for each candadate.