Saturday, August 08, 2009

Richard: I will not abandon my standards for popularity


In an op-ed column posted on the Joplin Globe website, Speaker of the House Ron Richard, R-Joplin, explains what he and House leadership are doing to help families which have to deal with autism:

I will not abandon my standards for popularity. I seek principled, pragmatic solutions and consensus. Unfortunately, last session we were unable to bring everyone together in agreement on Senate Bill 167. Designed to assist families affected by autism, this legislation would have impacted small businesses as well as taxpayers and Missourians with private health insurance. As House speaker, it is my job to be sure we have a strong consensus. My committee will help us build that consensus so that we may move forward to pass a bill that benefits families who suffer from autism.

This emotionally charged issue deserves our full attention and I implore all of our state leaders to use their power and resources to work for a real solution. I am urging the governor to leave politics out of this sensitive issue and directly engage with House leadership.


The legislation would also have an impact on the insurance industry which has poured money into Richard's campaign committee during the last few months. As noted in the July 20 Turner Report:

June 2 was a big day for Speaker of the House Ron Richard, R-Joplin.

On that day, insurance interests delivered $13,150 in contributions to the most powerful man in Missouri's campaign committee


It will be interesting to see what happens since I did not see $13,150 in contributions, or any contributions for that matter, from families with autistic children.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excuse me Rep. Richard, but why does you principled, pragmatic solutions always cut the least fortunate Missourians off at the Knees. Ever since you and your republican cohorts took power, the poor of missouri have been treated very badly. You have been a champion of business and lower taxes at the expense of the working poor. the people working 2 jobs to make ends meet. I am sure you can sleep well knowing the pain and hardship you have placed on the working people of missouri. I hope your read the lead story on Pitch Weekly recently about how you and alan icet and gary nodler tried to keep little kids with cancer and autism off the missouri medicaid rolls. if you have not read that article here is a link to it. http://www.pitch.com/2009-06-11/news/scenes-from-the-health-care-struggle-in-jefferson-city